ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm allergic to penicillin. I do not wait to be asked. If I'm conscious I tell anyone who may need to know, if I'm unconscious I currently have 3 sources of information relating to my allergy upon my person. It may not be enough but at least I've made the effort. I stand by my belief that it's done to us as individuals to be responsible for ourselves. If having a biscuit was such an affront then you should have made this clear before your operation.
Or just not put it in your mouth, maybe eh?
I agree.
He all have choices to make. Just speak up and explain you have nuts in your bag or whatever low carb snack most people rely on.
Insulin dependants carry glucose. Low carbers carry nuts or pork scratchings or whatever works low carb for them. Surely!

Reactions: Sue192

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm guessing that the majority of type 2's (or anyone for that matter) would have gratefully accepted the biscuits. I wonder what is the percentage of type 2s in the general population who are low carbing or at least not consuming high carb items. The person who offered them probably does so a hundred times a week and would not know whether a person wants them or not. My point being that maybe individuals should simply say thanks but no thanks. Like I do at work when I am constantly offered biscuits and cakes. I soon got fed up with explaining why. I guess it's better than a nurse saying 'You ain't getting any biscuits because you're a diabetic'.
I am guessing that for the majority, the digestives would count as 'healthy wholegrains' and high fibre. I used to eat them with butter and jam so that would also count as 'part of your 5 day1!

Reactions: dbr10

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm allergic to penicillin. I do not wait to be asked. If I'm conscious I tell anyone who may need to know, if I'm unconscious I currently have 3 sources of information relating to my allergy upon my person. It may not be enough but at least I've made the effort. I stand by my belief that it's done to us as individuals to be responsible for ourselves. If having a biscuit was such an affront then you should have made this clear before your operation.
TBH I wasn't expecting anything other than water and therefore was not able to "make this clear before my operation". My question is whether the NHS, who is supposed to be promoting healthy living and blaming diabetics for costing them so much money, should be offering biscuits as a post operative snack - for anyone let alone diabetics.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TBH I wasn't expecting anything other than water and therefore was not able to "make this clear before my operation". My question is whether the NHS, who is supposed to be promoting healthy living and blaming diabetics for costing them so much money, should be offering biscuits as a post operative snack - for anyone let alone diabetics.
So are you saying that an individuals choice of diet i.e. biscuits are the cause of diabetes?
As a type 1 diabetic my choice of diet played no part in me " costing " the NHS so much.
You seem to forget , as I said in an earlier post, that it's not just about diabetics. Biscuits good or bad would be I suspect be much appreciated by the majority.
Again it comes down to us as individuals to take responsibility for ourselves. My mother at age 75 was put on metformin for her elevated HbA1C. 9 months later she was off metformin because her HbA1C was at an acceptable level. Yes she made dietary changes but she also took my advice regarding diet and to ensure that she should have at least one treat a day.
This was usually a cup of milky coffee and a biscuit of choice at midday every day.
3 biscuits, in hospital, post operation isn't a problem. 3 biscuits, at home , with every hot beverage maybe not such a good idea.
And please remember that as " diabetics" we are not all in the same box. There are different forms of diabetes, some which do not necessarily require a ban on biscuits.

D

Deleted member 308541

There are different forms of diabetes, some which do not necessarily require a ban on biscuits.
We have a two biscuit packet of shortbread biscuits at the bowls club for the bowlers that come for in smoko midway through the game to go with there tea or coffee.

Nobody forces them to eat them, but I know they up my bgl if I eat them.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
She didn't 'offer' though just gave without checking or asking. The NHS are always banging on about lack of money and how diabetics are costing them a fortune and then they dole out biscuits! Hmm.

Biscuits at wholesale, wouldn't not be too pricy. It is also a recovery process, tea and biccies, as I said before I can't eat them, would love a Rich tea, but can't.
The nurse would have to make sure the patient is alert after the procedure and can communicate to accept or decline.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
She could have asked though! She didn't ask if I wanted the biscuits or give me the option to ask for an alternative or check if it was appropriate for me to have them. I was pretty drowsy and could have been allergic - she didn't check or ask!

It is a very busy department, also the patient may end telling them their life story about why they can't eat them, or the auntie or uncle who can'r because of................... It is a comforting gesture in companies, establishments and in peiople's homes.
Because I am Coeliac I can't eat the biscuits in question, but my dear ole friend, always asks if I would like a biscuit with my cuppa and emphasizes that she has just plain biscuits, bless her lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't want to butt in here, but as I understand it, @Robinredbreast is a diagnosed coeliac, so eating a wheat based biscuit could have unpleasant consequences.

Unpleasant consequences, includes continuing vomiting, up to five times and feeling very ill and BS all over the place. Even if I was low and I had to drink or eat something to get it back up, it would make me vomit, so not just unpleasant consequences, but possibly dangerous ones :(

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unpleasant consequences, includes continuing vomiting, up to five times and feeling very ill and BS all over the place. Even if I was low and I had to drink or eat something to get it back up, it would make me vomit, so not just unpleasant consequences, but possibly dangerous ones :(

I’m writing this from hospital. I was admitted on Thursday, so I haven’t caught up with ordering from a menu yet, I just get whatever there is (or is in my secret store). I’m Type 2
Yesterday lunch was fish chips and mushy peas, which I accepted, and picked the fish out of its batter. The pudding was apple pie an custard which I politely declined and said I was diabetic. The lady serving said ‘all our food is suitable for diabetics, you can eat it ‘.she was a bit put out when I still refused.

An hour later the diabetic nurse arrived. I’m not sure whether she,d been sent or not, but she took me through my readings and diet. I told her about sending the apple pie back, and she said I wish more people would do that. Carry on with what you are doing.

I’m in for a knee operation, nothing to do with diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m writing this from hospital. I was admitted on Thursday, so I haven’t caught up with ordering from a menu yet, I just get whatever there is (or is in my secret store). I’m Type 2
Yesterday lunch was fish chips and mushy peas, which I accepted, and picked the fish out of its batter. The pudding was apple pie an custard which I politely declined and said I was diabetic. The lady serving said ‘all our food is suitable for diabetics, you can eat it ‘.she was a bit put out when I still refused.

An hour later the diabetic nurse arrived. I’m not sure whether she,d been sent or not, but she took me through my readings and diet. I told her about sending the apple pie back, and she said I wish more people would do that. Carry on with what you are doing.

I’m in for a knee operation, nothing to do with diabetes

Good luck with your operation and a speedy recovery too.

Reactions: Sue192 and dbr10

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Catlady, I do get your point about healthy living but what would you have the NHS offer instead? I can guarantee if you say fruit there will be a load more comments about fruit not being healthy for everyone. Carrot sticks? wholegrain toast? avocado? belly pork? My point is that biscuits may not be healthy but within the NHS they are a realistic choice to get a few carbs and energy into people post op.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was merely highlighting valid reasons for not accepting seemingly benign foodstuffs. My own symptoms would be different, but also extremely unpleasant, impacting my qualisty of life for aaround 3 weeks.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a colonoscopy a couple of months ago. After fasting for 24 hours and the gross prep I had to take, afterwards I was absolutely starving. Got given 2 biscuits and a cup of tea. AND I ATE THEM AND THEY TASTED SOOOO GOOD! I would hate to think that something so simple, given with the best of intentions, would turn into something that people could get angry at the NHS for. It's so easy just to say no thanks, take your own food or ask them if they have anything else you can eat! And I also ate an egg sandwich in the car on the way home too!! Well I was very hungry....

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your operation and a speedy recovery too.

Thanks Robinredbreast. I had the op on Thursday. I had a knee replacement in February and the knee itself is fine. The problem was haemotoma and infection in the wound. The surgeon didn’t know what he was going to do until he got inside, so I (and him) were both very relieved the infection was all superficial. The key now is to keep the new wound from getting infected.
I think I’m going to be here about 2 weeks. If the food continues as it has started I could easily loose a stone. The antibiotics and infections are playing havoc with my blood sugar.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. But thanks for asking robinredbreast.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was merely highlighting valid reasons for not accepting seemingly benign foodstuffs. My own symptoms would be different, but also extremely unpleasant, impacting my qualisty of life for aaround 3 weeks.

I know you were highlighting the reasons and my reply only meant what happens to me.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a colonoscopy a couple of months ago. After fasting for 24 hours and the gross prep I had to take, afterwards I was absolutely starving. Got given 2 biscuits and a cup of tea. AND I ATE THEM AND THEY TASTED SOOOO GOOD! I would hate to think that something so simple, given with the best of intentions, would turn into something that people could get angry at the NHS for. It's so easy just to say no thanks, take your own food or ask them if they have anything else you can eat! And I also ate an egg sandwich in the car on the way home too!! Well I was very hungry....
A spot-on post, especially I would hate to think that something so simple, given with the best of intentions, would turn into something that people could get angry at the NHS for. I cannot understand why people just can't politely refuse or, even easier, just leave the offending whatever it is. As @KK123 says, biccies are a way of getting a few carbs and energy into patients post-op/procedure and in very busy hospitals, an easy way, and I would say the great majority are thankful. Sometimes there is too much fault-finding where there isn't any.

Reactions: karen8967 and KK123

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Catlady, I do get your point about healthy living but what would you have the NHS offer instead? I can guarantee if you say fruit there will be a load more comments about fruit not being healthy for everyone. Carrot sticks? wholegrain toast? avocado? belly pork? My point is that biscuits may not be healthy but within the NHS they are a realistic choice to get a few carbs and energy into people post op.
Belly pork???? Seriously?
I can think of lots of things more healthy than digestive biscuits.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Me too, but I quite like vicars.

I've always found they are very generous when I ask if I can play with their organs :)

True story - I wanted to learn the pipe organ in secondary school, and there were lots of local churches where the vicars were happy to hand me the keys and let me loose on their magnificent instruments after school.

Catholic Church in Ireland comes to mind