NHS - Biscuits For Recovery

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE=" I cannot understand why people just can't politely refuse or, even easier, just leave the offending whatever it is. biccies are a way of getting a few carbs and energy into patients post-op/procedure and in very busy hospitals, an easy way, and I would say the great majority are thankful. Sometimes there is too much fault-finding where there isn't any.[/QUOTE]
I did just politely refuse and leave the offending item.
I am merely raising a discussion between forum members about whether Digestive biscuits are a suitable item for the NHS to be giving out when we have constant reminders on every other tv program (with interviews from NHS doctors) that Diabetics are costing the NHS millions of pounds each year and yet they give out a very high sugar unhealthy product without asking or checking whether the patient is wise to consume it!
It would surely be better to make mention in the lengthy accompanying documentation that patients may wish to bring appropriate food with them.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Belly pork???? Seriously?
I can think of lots of things more healthy than digestive biscuits.
I think you missed my point, which was the fact that many individuals have many different opinions on what is healthy for THEIR bodies, belly pork is often quoted as the food of the gods for someone low carbing but it would hardly be classed as suitable post op or be offered to everybody would it, which is probably what you are also saying as am I. A simple biscuit (other than in a perfect world) is probably the most practical. What would you prefer as a matter of interest?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think you missed my point, which was the fact that many individuals have many different opinions on what is healthy for THEIR bodies, belly pork is often quoted as the food of the gods for someone low carbing but it would hardly be classed as suitable post op or be offered to everybody would it, which is probably what you are also saying as am I. A simple biscuit (other than in a perfect world) is probably the most practical. What would you prefer as a matter of interest?

For me, I doubt it would be pork belly after a medical procedure o_O:meh: just a decent cuppa, not too weak, a cross between a caramel colour and builder's tea :hungry::happy:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
[QUOTE=" I cannot understand why people just can't politely refuse or, even easier, just leave the offending whatever it is. biccies are a way of getting a few carbs and energy into patients post-op/procedure and in very busy hospitals, an easy way, and I would say the great majority are thankful. Sometimes there is too much fault-finding where there isn't any.
I am merely raising a discussion between forum members about whether Digestive biscuits are a suitable item for the NHS to be giving out when we have constant reminders on every other tv program (with interviews from NHS doctors) that Diabetics are costing the NHS millions of pounds each year and yet they give out a very high sugar unhealthy product without asking or checking whether the patient is wise to consume it!
It would surely be better to make mention in the lengthy accompanying documentation that patients may wish to bring appropriate food with them.[/QUOTE]

But they're are also many people who go into hospital to have medical procedure's who don't have diabetes. Also, some may even try to order pizza's in, a Macdonalds, even a curry, could you imagine the smell from the aroma of these type's of food items just after a hospital procedure.................... not for me :stop::yuck: o_O

Last edited:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Robin, I can understand where you are coming from. When I was admitted to hospital after a heart attack. The meals that I was offered was..White pasta, meat pies breaded chicken burgers, syrup pudding and so on. This was for lunch and dinner. Then had a nutrition visit me in the ward telling me what not to eat etc..The what not to eat was what the hospital was offering me lol.I had my husband bring in my food, but for people who have nobody and live alone, they certainly do not offer healthy meals.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But they're are also many people who go into hospital to have medical procedure's who don't have diabetes. Also, some may even try to order pizza's in, a Macdonalds, even a curry, could you imagine the smell from the aroma of these type's of food items just after a hospital procedure.................... not for me :stop::yuck: o_O
Can you imagine waking up, woozy and a bit 'sicky', next to someone who is scoffing a Limburger cheese and pickled onion sandwich. Give me a digbic any day!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It would surely be better to make mention in the lengthy accompanying documentation that patients may wish to bring appropriate food with them.

But they're are also many people who go into hospital to have medical procedure's who don't have diabetes. Also, some may even try to order pizza's in, a Macdonalds, even a curry, could you imagine the smell from the aroma of these type's of food items just after a hospital procedure.................... not for me :stop::yuck: o_O[/QUOTE] When I went to rehab after my heart attack (Offered to people as after care) After exercise the nursing staff would offer cakes and biscuits lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I went to rehab after my heart attack (Offered to people as after care) After exercise the nursing staff would offer cakes and biscuits lol[/QUOTE]

This is such a great thread with so many views and opinions, diabetes or not. I
I hope you have recovered well from your heart attack, I worked for Cardiac Rehab in their charity shop, assistant to the manager, I loved the job and all the volunteer's had had heart procedure's and aftercare at the Rehab centre. We used to drink a lot of tea and biscuits were always available and eaten ! o_O

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

But they're are also many people who go into hospital to have medical procedure's who don't have diabetes. Also, some may even try to order pizza's in, a Macdonalds, even a curry, could you imagine the smell from the aroma of these type's of food items just after a hospital procedure.................... not for me :stop::yuck: o_O[/QUOTE]
My friend did that when I was having my daughter. I started labour before her and she was really quick. I was still in agony and she was eating pizza! Many moons ago now though.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

But they're are also many people who go into hospital to have medical procedure's who don't have diabetes. Also, some may even try to order pizza's in, a Macdonalds, even a curry, could you imagine the smell from the aroma of these type's of food items just after a hospital procedure.................... not for me :stop::yuck: o_O[/QUOTE]
My friend did that when I was having my daughter. I started labour before her and she was really quick. I was still in agony and she was eating pizza! Many moons ago now though.
No I didn't miss your point... Now that you have mentioned pork, how about a nice bit of crackling!
Actually, I didn't expect them to provide any thing other than tea or water.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When I went to rehab after my heart attack (Offered to people as after care) After exercise the nursing staff would offer cakes and biscuits lol

This is such a great thread with so many views and opinions, diabetes or not. I
I hope you have recovered well from your heart attack, I worked for Cardiac Rehab in their charity shop, assistant to the manager, I loved the job and all the volunteer's had had heart procedure's and aftercare at the Rehab centre. We used to drink a lot of tea and biscuits were always available and eaten ! o_O[/QUOTE]
Yes I have fully recovered thank you so much for asking. 14 years ago now and so far touch wood have had no problems. I was supposed to have done 6 wks of rehab, but I actually found it a little depressing. The nurses were fantastic, but the other patients well lol...They kept telling me horror stories like " Oh I had a stent put into my artery and then I had to have another one, and when I had another one put in I nearly died blah blah lol..Then it was a case where another would say...We are on borrowed time now. After 4 wks of listening to this I decided to do my own rehab. What was supposed to have been a positive and good outlook turned into who had the worst time of it. Just because somebody has a heart attack, it does not mean that they will have another one or ever again. I know people who have had a heart attack in their 50s and lived till 86 and older..So I prefer to look on the positive side lol

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just because somebody has a heart attack, it does not mean that they will have another one or ever again. I know people who have had a heart attack in their 50s and lived till 86 and older..So I prefer to look on the positive side lol

Absolutely!
My father in law had a huge heart op (triple or quadruple bypass) in his mid 60s, and then lived a hale and hearty life for the next 20+ years. He was a builder, then transferred his energies to DIY and gardening. The man was a workhorse - and when he died, it was unrelated to his heart and circulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10