NHS Choices One You website

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As the 'One You' website is being pushed today to help with the obesity epidemic I thought I would have another look to see if it had improved. Well, it's as bad as ever with the continued harmful information. Have a look (Google 'one you' for the nhs website) and in particular the diabetes information. I've sent in a complaint via the Contact page. You may wish to do the same if, like me, you feel the information is truly harmful being based around sugar, sale and fat reduction and no mention of carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the diabetes self assessment. For me at age 69 it said:

Your risk level is increased

There is a 1 in 50 chance that you have type 2 diabetes now and a 1 in 10 chance that you could develop diabetes in the next 10 years.
Remember, as you get older your risk of developing type 2 diabetes may increase further – especially if you have a family history of diabetes.

I then did it at age 49 and got:

Your risk level is low

There is a 1 in 200 chance that you have type 2 diabetes now and a 1 in 20 chance that you could develop diabetes in the next 10 years.

But I already have diabetes!!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's keep this cordial chaps.

Thank you. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I did the test and got 10 out of 10, so very happy with that, the only problem I have is I don't sleep well, I have been like this for years.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm too frightened to do the tests in case they tell me I'm already dead

Well, that would be another useless link then :rolleyes: ( but if you are, there are plenty of other links with 'cure's that could bring you back to life with something like...................... snake oil :rolleyes: )

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took the quiz but I sometimes wonder who writes them. My mental image of the food fairies is one that looks like Nanny Mcphee and you will eat it all up or you will get it served up for your next meal.

In this quiz you are asked to tick what kind of cheese you like. I don't like cheese and never have since it tastes like bad milk to me. What a bloody strange question and how even stranger that there might be people answering who don't like cheese at all.

This is a fun quiz and inconsequential so don't take it seriously people.

Maybe Wallace of Wallace and Grommit wrote it. What's wrong with Wensleydale?

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took the quiz but I sometimes wonder who writes them. My mental image of the food fairies is one that looks like Nanny Mcphee and you will eat it all up or you will get it served up for your next meal.

In this quiz you are asked to tick what kind of cheese you like. I don't like cheese and never have since it tastes like bad milk to me. What a bloody strange question and how even stranger that there might be people answering who don't like cheese at all.

This is a fun quiz and inconsequential so don't take it seriously people.

Maybe Wallace of Wallace and Grommit wrote it. What's wrong with Wensleydale?
I had the same with spuds, which would you choose, if you had to? Well if I have to stuff myself full of carbs - a pint of guinness

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:):):pompous:
I like cordial especially orange.:):):):):).

Sorry but I had to.
Oooooohhhh,....... Traffic police. :pompous:

Edit: I meant spelling police, but having spent a loooong time edging down the M1, then around the M25 today, my brain is completely addled.

Last edited:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the 'One You' website is being pushed today to help with the obesity epidemic I thought I would have another look to see if it had improved. Well, it's as bad as ever with the continued harmful information. Have a look (Google 'one you' for the nhs website) and in particular the diabetes information. I've sent in a complaint via the Contact page. You may wish to do the same if, like me, you feel the information is truly harmful being based around sugar, sale and fat reduction and no mention of carbs.
I sent a note criticising the lack of information about carbs too.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wrote to them saying what a bloody stupid and useless quiz and what do you say when you don't eat cheese?

They replied and it includes this bit.

" The idea behind it is that people who know more about nutrition tend to eat more healthily. Your suggestion to have a ‘No cheese’ or ‘cheese substitutes’ option is a great idea. We will be sure to include your feedback when we update the quiz in the future.

Thanks for your feedback."

I find it all a little too cheesecentric for me.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a reply.

"
Dear ****

Thank you for writing in again. We understand your frustration with the multiple choice questions in the quiz, it is only supposed to be a quick and fun way of making people think about their lifestyle choices and where they could make some simple changes to be more healthy.

We ask people to choose from a range of healthier and less healthy options in order to generate their score for the eating section. The assumption behind this is that people who are able to identify the healthier options on offer know more about nutrition and are therefore more likely to make healthier dietary choices. For example, the question for cheese or potatoes should therefore be interpreted as "which of these types of cheese/potatoes is lower in fat?" rather than "which type of cheese/potatoes do you personally eat most often".

We did look at including a "none of the above" option in these questions in this version of the quiz, but implementing it is more complicated than it might at first appear. If we give people the option of not answering two out of four questions in that section of the quiz, we will be trying to calculate a score for eating based on data from four questions for some people and two questions for others. This means that some people are likely to get misleading results as we'd have to increase the weighting of the scores from the questions that people who only answer two give which would mean that the impact of any less healthy choices they made on the final quiz score would be disproportionately high.

Implementing that change to the scoring logic would also require expensive development resource that was not available to us in time for us to update the quiz this time around.

The upshot of all of this is that we apologise for causing you to feel that you are not able to participate in the quiz. Hopefully you can see from the detail we have provided in our response above that this was not our intention and that you can participate if you still want to - just see if you can pick the lower fat cheese from the list of four in that question.

We understand that many people have different diets and we will make updates to the quiz questions that reflect this in some way as soon as we are able to.

We hope this answers your question.