NHS diabetic review

chaylabling

I am type 2 and on Eucreas 50mg twice per day.
I received a letter earlier in the year to discuss diabetes care planning with my nurse at my next appointment.
It said from April 2016 they will make an appointment for my annual review on the month of my birth, which is December.
Does the NHS now only give one appointment per year?
My last check up was december 2015 when my HbA1c was higher than previous one in May 2015.
I have had six monthly reviews for the previous 3 years (and 3 monthly when I lived in spain). I am now worried that a year is a long time without knowing how I am doing. would greatly appreciate advice.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If you are worried then request an appointment sooner rather than later.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At my hospital appointments, I know that Type 2 patients are given annual appointments but I don't know if they have appointments with their GP at other times. Obviously they won't be straight forward cases, as most Type 2s are seen by their own doctors.

Maybe it depends where you live and how good your control is, but my brother is Type 2 and is seen at his Practice every 3 months. At one point he was told he might have to go onto insulin but he seems to be OK now.

If you test your blood and have been unhappy with the results, you could always ask your nurse for an HbA1c. If you don't test, you could still ask for the test and if it's too high they'll do something to help.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Appointments for T2 are annual by default if your control is good. If you don't have a meter do buy one so you know how well you are doing and can seek an earlier appointment if needed.

chaylabling

At my hospital appointments, I know that Type 2 patients are given annual appointments but I don't know if they have appointments with their GP at other times. Obviously they won't be straight forward cases, as most Type 2s are seen by their own doctors.

Maybe it depends where you live and how good your control is, but my brother is Type 2 and is seen at his Practice every 3 months. At one point he was told he might have to go onto insulin but he seems to be OK now.

If you test your blood and have been unhappy with the results, you could always ask your nurse for an HbA1c. If you don't test, you could still ask for the test and if it's too high they'll do something to help.

If you test your blood and have been unhappy with the results, you could always ask your nurse for an HbA1c. If you don't test, you could still ask for the test and if it's too high they'll do something to help.[/

chaylabling

Thank you, I will ask for an interim appointment, I do test myself but not all the time due to expense so I don't know what my average level would be. I have been trying to get my readings down by low carb diet and it seemed to be working first couple of weeks but now my readings are higher and I cannot figure out why. It seems to me that more frequent check ups would help to prevent diabetic complications in the long run. Also, the HbA1c only gives an average of the previous 8 - 12 weeks I believe so not a picture of the past year.

chaylabling

Thank you, Daibell, I do have a meter which I do not use use all the time, too expensive, so it only gives me an indication, also the check up should show up any other diabetes problems that might arise. I will ask my doctor if I can be seen more often but wondered if it was a NHS cut, as my levels and weight (which I am trying to reduce) were heading in the wrong direction last December so I would not have thought that my appointments should be cut down.