NHS Dietitian Contradicting Himself

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm grateful that I was never asked to see a 'dietician'. Why see someone who follows a an outdated view of diet and nutrition and isn't medically qualified either.
Me to a dietician was never suggested and my nurse has never mentioned the eat well plate either she is happy for me to do what ever works for me as long as my blood results are good which they are

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like someone to tell me exactly what a Mediterranean diet is. I lived on the med for over 10 years and all I could see was a meal of cheap grisly meat made expensive with cover up sauce and chips with something red which looked like it had landed from a great hight (tomato and red pepper cooked to death) for veggies followed by a very very sweet desert. I only put on weight!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't you just love it when they are oblivious of the evidence before them?
He said my fasting blood glucose readings between 4 - 6 mmols/l are false and I'm cheating.

He also emphasized to me to eat "normally" and stressed out that the NHS does NOT agree with low-carbing and it's strongly NOT advisable.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I have gone for an appointment at the hospital. I usually after my appointment go to the hospital restaurant and have a cup of coffee. I was absolutely shocked to see the nurses and doctors eating chips, crisps, pies etc. My appointment was nothing to do with diabetes as I am pre-diabetic or not sure if I am now with my numbers, because of eating low carb, but these people should be setting an example. Many are overweight themselves
You can actually afford to buy coffee at their shop/cafe? Bravo!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like someone to tell me exactly what a Mediterranean diet is. I lived on the med for over 10 years and all I could see was a meal of cheap grisly meat made expensive with cover up sauce and chips with something red which looked like it had landed from a great hight (tomato and red pepper cooked to death) for veggies followed by a very very sweet desert. I only put on weight!
Try the Pioppi diet which is a lower carb variant of it.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-pioppi-diet

Edit out of interest
"Kerry Torrens is a qualified Nutritionist (MBANT) with a post graduate diploma in Personalised Nutrition & Nutritional Therapy. She is a member of the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BANT) and a member of the Guild of Food Writers."
The LCHF diet was originally proposed by William Banting, and people using the diet were said to Bant, Interesting but confusing confliction.

Edit to add: this is apparently the diet that Labour MP Tom Watson used to lose 7 stone and 'reverse his diabetes'

Last edited:

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try the Pioppi diet which is a lower carb variant of it.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-pioppi-diet

Edit out of interest
"Kerry Torrens is a qualified Nutritionist (MBANT) with a post graduate diploma in Personalised Nutrition & Nutritional Therapy. She is a member of the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BANT) and a member of the Guild of Food Writers."
The LCHF diet was originally proposed by William Banting, and people using the diet were said to Bant, Interesting but confusing confliction.

It sounds very similar to what I eat now, except I do enjoy a good steak and other red meats. Fish I enjoy but it does not seem to last and I get very hungry afterwards.

Thanks for your reply

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds very similar to what I eat now, except I do enjoy a good steak and other red meats. Fish I enjoy but it does not seem to last and I get very hungry afterwards.

Thanks for your reply
Probably not enough fat in the fish to produce satiety.. that's what I find..

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably not enough fat in the fish to produce satiety.. that's what I find..

Yes, Your right. Although, one restaurant around here cook their fish just right and a large whole fish with a gravy boat of melted butter to pour over with a salad is good!! I could eat that now!!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, Your right. Although, one restaurant around here cook their fish just right and a large whole fish with a gravy boat of melted butter to pour over with a salad is good!! I could eat that now!!

Yes, I always smother my fish in butter before I eat it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
At the moment the only way that a dietitian in Australia can prescribe a low carb high fat diet is to be in private practice and not be registered with the Dietitians Association of Australia.
The fact that DAA is sponsored by companies including Big Food (and no conflict of interest is declared) says a lot.
DAA even put its 10 cents worth (+GST) into a case where a doctor was de-registered here for promoting LCHF diets. He was later re-instated. ? Did the Medical Board of Oz wake up to what DAA was spouting or was it a case of proving to themselves that the diet promoting by said practitioner was not harmful?
I have no idea if the dietitians' registration body in UK is similarly influenced by Big Food but it seems NUTS to victimise HCPs for prescribing diets that work.
Of course, like any other form of health management, there are pros and cons to any therapy/treatment regime and patients who will benefit from one treatment more than others.

timgil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed last week I was given a small booklet with suggested "meal plans". I have no intention of following them as most of them have far more carbs than I have been having (and not as good carbs either). They mostly emphasise starchy carbs and while I am not entirely cutting them out - I am limiting them a lot. As well as having more carbs than I have been having (or at the best no less) they have far less cals. While I should be losing weight and am doing so, I'm not about to jump from around 3000+ cals a day to their suggested between 1000 and 1400 a day. There may come a time when I do need to do that - but atm I have gone from 3000+ to around 1800+ and its working for me. I am having carbs for breakfast (porridge or wholegrain toast) but the rest of my carbs in the day are coming from veggies: cabbage, spinach, broccoli, sprouts, carrots (less so).

I haven't so far been refereed to a dietitian but I am being referred to a course of some kind (I opted for the one off longer course) where I am sure diet will be discussed. My views are simple: "If what I am doing is working, I don't believe I need to change it unless you convince me of a good reason. Your views being different to mine does not represent a good reason."

It definitely seems to me that the idea of carbs with each meal is simply a NHS "repeat by rote", almost a mantra, that may work for a large proportion of the population (and then again may not), but certainly should not be forced down everyone's throat (pun intended).