NHS Milk Diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am intrigued to know what the NHS milk diet entails.
Is it a set time with nothing but milk to be consumed, @Adz444?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s a diet that you normally do before having a weight operation, the idea is it shrinks the liver to make it easier for the surgeon to move it out the way to access the stomach rather than having to make a big incision
That would make a lot of sense, I can't see it working long term. Congrats on your weight loss! I'm glad it works for you.

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am intrigued to know what the NHS milk diet entails.
Is it a set time with nothing but milk to be consumed, @Adz444?

Hey, nope I’m not having surgery but they put you on it when you first visit to give you a bit of a head start and to see if you’re committed as spaces at this clinic are very limited, it took me 3 months to finally get in!

The diet used to be for 3 months but they’ve changed this to 1 month (I did the 3 month one 7 years ago), each person is different but I can have roughly the same as what was posted earlier

- 4-5 pints milk, which you’re allowed to flavour if you wish, I use no sugar crusha which is fine.

- Spoon of marmite for salt, others have a glass of bovril.

- 1 sugar free Jelly.

- 1 A-Z vitamin pill.

- 1 glass of fibre gel to combat constipation.

You’re also allowed as much water, no added sugar drinks, tea and coffee plain.

I know it sounds really harsh but after the first few days time flys by and when you see the drastic weight loss it encourages you into the next week

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Adz444. It seems to be a fast with milk, then.
Have seen plenty of fasting methods, but this is a new one to me. Great if it works for you, and you are happy with it. The more choice of weight and T2 management methods the better, as far as I’m concerned.
Hope you have a follow on eating plan to maintain your good results so far.

Adz444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks! The key is to change your eating habits once it’s finished as when I did it the first time I lost 25kg in the 3 months but unfortunately my mum passed away not long after finishing it and I went back to all my bad habits to comfort myself and the weight went back on just as fast as I lost it but I’m in a much better place this time round :)

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! The key is to change your eating habits once it’s finished as when I did it the first time I lost 25kg in the 3 months but unfortunately my mum passed away not long after finishing it and I went back to all my bad habits to comfort myself and the weight went back on just as fast as I lost it but I’m in a much better place this time round :)
Thats exactly the problem.I lost 50 pounds on the green juice/broth diet in about 3 months,quit it when I was getting dizzy.And yep,weight went right back,tho not as high.

Now Im doing high fat,low carbs and watching portion size and recording meals and BG .Im losing about 3 lbs a month,eating plenty of what I like,appetite controlled,BG controlled,no meds.All this and I dont count carbs or calories,just learned from my meter what I can and cant eat.

And I got my diet advice right here (Im a few years lurker).There is no better source than folks on these forums here IMO.Those @#$#@'s at the ADA would have destroyed me if I took their advice IMO.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a crazy diet that can only work short term. Not done this one but have done plenty like it. Never again. When you finish the diet weight gain is almost inevitable and the sense of failure when this happens is immense.

My advice is not to punish yourself or your body. Instead choose good nutritious low carb food. It's worked for lots of us here.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats exactly the problem.I lost 50 pounds on the green juice/broth diet in about 3 months,quit it when I was getting dizzy.And yep,weight went right back,tho not as high.

Now Im doing high fat,low carbs and watching portion size and recording meals and BG .Im losing about 3 lbs a month,eating plenty of what I like,appetite controlled,BG controlled,no meds.All this and I dont count carbs or calories,just learned from my meter what I can and cant eat.

And I got my diet advice right here (Im a few years lurker).There is no better source than folks on these forums here IMO.Those @#$#@'s at the ADA would have destroyed me if I took their advice IMO.
I'll have to agree, these officially sanctioned diets with no way to measure what is happening just do not make sense, and it's our lives these idiots are playing with, not theirs. Take control and use that blood glucose monitor to tell you what is right and what is wrong food wise. Use that meter to rule your food intake! I won't rant any more...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the past I have done doctor prescribed diets which had me passing out at very inconvenient moments, which I reported and got 'non compliant' on my records - I could never trust a doctor to know what was a dangerous diet as I suspect they don't care.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I hope it is not meant to last long because where are the Vitamin C, adequate B vitamins etc coming from ??

Reactions: 1spuds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope it is not meant to last long because where are the Vitamin C, adequate B vitamins etc coming from ??

I don't want @Adz444 to think I'm answering on his behalf, but he does mention an A-Z Vitamin in post #24

Reactions: kitedoc

ems24801

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently using this diet to shrink liver before my operation, I've had to do it for 4 weeks because of NASH however I've lost 2st and I've reversed my diabetes in doing so, my HBA1c is now at prediabetes level it's sitting at 46 now, I can't actually believe it