Type 2 nicotine/blood sugar control?

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2012, since then I have controlled it well with no drugs, only low carbing, lost 2 stone in 6 months, felt great!
9 months ago a quit smoking, now I can't seem to control, my weight, my blood sugar numbers and I aches and pain again, has anybody out there felt worse for quitting smoking, and did it mess up your numbers too?
I'm very frightened that when I go for my HbA1c, they will insist that I go on drugs or put me down as being unhelpful and not help me at all!.
Surely giving up smoking is meant to make one healthier not make it all worse

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't give up entirely but cut down drastically. I noticed immediately that my blood sugar levels went up. I did find a couple of blogs/articles on the web that this can happen. I then made the decision to reduce my carbs quite a bit more, and my levels improved. I didn't put any weight on due to reducing the ciggies and didn't feel the need to replace them with extra food (which is the main cause of weight gain after quitting).

I hope you can find a way round this. Maybe back to basics with watching your carbs more carefully and regular testing before and after eating and keeping a food diary?

Reactions: Frenchmen

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I answered your e mail, via e mail, didn't realise I should do it on here! I will get the hang of it, let me know if you got my e mail reply, thank you either way for your reply.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I answered your e mail, via e mail, didn't realise I should do it on here! I will get the hang of it, let me know if you got my e mail reply, thank you either way for your reply.

???? I'm sorry but I don't understand. We can't send emails on the forum. Our email addresses are private. Do you mean you sent me a private message? I haven't had one from you and nor have I sent you one.

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh! The answer you gave me via the forum also came up in my home e mail, so has this one as it pinged, to let me know I had mail, so I just went straight here and you answered.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying, it is pretty soul destroying especially as I like smoking!
Going back to basics, is what I'm going to endeavour to do now, one of the reasons I came here, I remembered what good advice and nice people hang out here, it's also hard to find good information anywhere else, doctors don't seem to know anything. They just shrug, and make me feel like it's all in my head. I already feel less alone thanks so much.

(This is what I wrote) I see now it is just a notification from the forum.

Reactions: Shas3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah I see!!! If you don't want these emails you can disable them in your profile settings and watch for your alerts in the little flag top right of screen.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying, it is pretty soul destroying especially as I like smoking!
Going back to basics, is what I'm going to endeavour to do now, one of the reasons I came here, I remembered what good advice and nice people hang out here, it's also hard to find good information anywhere else, doctors don't seem to know anything. They just shrug, and make me feel like it's all in my head. I already feel less alone thanks so much.

(This is what I wrote) I see now it is just a notification from the forum.

Have you got your own meter? I hope so because if you use it properly you can get your levels back down where you want them and the way to do this is by reducing your carbs to your personal tolerance levels, which your meter will help you with.

Reactions: Bigman49

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Frenchmen, I gave up smoking at the end of October 2016 and to be honest I haven't seen any significant increase in blood sugars, though I will say that I feel a **** sight better for quitting.

Reactions: Shas3 and Frenchmen

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have got a meter, but because the results have been so up and down, even though I have been eating the same I just can't bear to keep doing it, I think my tolerance for everything has gone, because I'm still feeling the impact of not smoking!!!
It just makes me more depressed and I feel it's hopeless, or I have felt that anyway, so much so I couldn't even get back on here.

But now I have, I will endeavour to make the right decisions again. I do feel like I'm having to start all over again, which I guess I will have to get my head around and just do it. My body feels like it wants more carbs now I have stopped smoking, so the thought of even less, is hard, but you are right it's what I need to do.

The docs do not warn you that giving up nicotine can be a challenge as far as bs is concerned, in fact I have not been able to find much information on it at all. That's why I'm throwing out the question here. Just hoping there are ex smokers or people that have experienced this and be diabetic type 2 on lchf. Which seems to be a big ask, so I was lucky you were here.

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Frenchmen, I gave up smoking at the end of October 2016 and to be honest I haven't seen any significant increase in blood sugars, though I will say that I feel a **** sight better for quitting.

You are lucky, I have felt nothing but worse so far, I'm hoping it will kick in soon, mentally I'm happy I'm not smoking but physically it's all gone let's just say not very well.
Glad it has been good for you though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done it before. You can do it again. Go right back to basics. Counting carbs, food diary with portion sizes, testing before you eat and 90 minutes to 2 hours after first bite, record those levels alongside the food and try to keep any rise under 2mmol/l MAXIMUM preferasbly less. Tweak the portion sizes or eliminate completely.

Make a list of your favourite low carb foods and snacks and use those whenever you get cravings.

Reactions: Bigman49

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done it before. You can do it again. Go right back to basics. Counting carbs, food diary with portion sizes, testing before you eat and 90 minutes to 2 hours after first bite, record those levels alongside the food and try to keep any rise under 2mmol/l MAXIMUM preferasbly less. Tweak the portion sizes or eliminate completely.

Make a list of your favourite low carb foods and snacks and use those whenever you get cravings.

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I had better get my act together, thanks for the reminder! I'm must stop prancing around as if I'm not a nicotine addict or a diabetic, I just had it good for a few years, and if I want it to be good again, I have to put the work in, or of course go back to smoking it was like living the dream compared to now

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I gave up on New Year's Eve (a bit of a cliche, I know) after 50 years of smoking. There was no difference in my BG and my weight stayed the same. I have not put on any weight, in fact I have the opposite problem. I am very careful with my diet and make sure I have lots of treats. Please don't let nasty Mr Nicotine convince you that you'd be better of starting again. If I can do it so can you. Keep your resolve up and your carbs down. Good luck.

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you! Wow, I don't meet many people who have been smoking longer than me
I really do not want to go back, but I must say, the weight and the bs problems, have me feeling terrible.
Like what's the point? If I engage brain, instead of my emotions I know what the point is, the amount of work I have had to to to stop it,just isn't worth starting again, so I will put everything now into seeing if I can't get my good numbers and weight again, I have not been over eating as that is hard to do and I have not been eating things I shouldn't, and here comes the but, Bluetit was right I probably need to cut down from what I was having, what was right then isn't right now, no matter how much I wish it was, and wish life wasn't so pedantry.
Lovely to hear from you

Reactions: HelenHak

Frenchmen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up on New Year's Eve (a bit of a cliche, I know) after 50 years of smoking. There was no difference in my BG and my weight stayed the same. I have not put on any weight, in fact I have the opposite problem. I am very careful with my diet and make sure I have lots of treats. Please don't let nasty Mr Nicotine convince you that you'd be better of starting again. If I can do it so can you. Keep your resolve up and your carbs down. Good luck.
I don't seem to get the replays in the right place, I have answered you below or above xx