Night Hypo Awareness Gone?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

I have started with a Freestyle Libre within the last 6 months, (I’ve not currently got alarms turned on), and I’ve noticed that I’ve been having hypos during the night and not realised.

Do you think this might be that I wasn’t aware of them before, or could it be more likely that I’ve lost hypo awareness?
I know it might be hard to tell but wondered if anyone else had noticed this too?

Thank you in advance!
Jessica

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
It depends how low you go at night, Since having a cgm I've noticed more night hypos, but I suspect that preciously my liver just pumped out glucogen so I never needed to know...

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you know they are really hypos or are they compression lows - CGMs report false low readings when you apply pressure to them such as when you lie on them at night.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I often get lows on Libre during the night, and when I've checked with a finger prick test, I'm not hypo a lot of the time and wasn't lying on the side my sensor was. Had been awake for 2 or 3 hours, so no possibility of a compression low. As soon as I'm up and about for a short time, Libre lows vanish, so for me it's when lying down that the issue is.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve not currently got alarms turned on
Can you turn on the alarms so you can do a fingerprick test to see if it's a true low or Libre reading a bit too low?

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your answers that’s really good to know. I didn’t know that they did that if they’ve had pressure for a while. Sometimes I believe they have been real lows, for instance this morning once my alarm had gone and I had woken up I realised I did feel low. Maybe that’ll be best to do a finger prick test again to see. Thanks again for your tips and advice!