Night shifts and insulin

JoanneM

I'm working as a care assistant and I'm doing my first night shift next week. I haven't had a chance to ring my doctor yet so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I take novorapid in the day when I eat and levemir at night (9pm). Do I still take my levemir at 9pm and take my novorapid when I eat during the night or do I swap them exactly and take my levemir the next morning?? I did ask a doctor at my last clinic appointment but she didn't know

M

mammamia2006

When I worked nights, I took my Lantus at the same time (7 30pm) and just took Novorapid when I ate.

crystalclear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Mammamia... my own experience with 54 years of type1 diabetes and working in a general hospital for 30 years with all three shifts then changing to 12hour shifts was what I call TED - trial, evaluation and discovery. Because our entire endocrine system has altering chemical changes during the night, quite different from daytime I found that lowering long acting insulin by 2u-for me- worked great. It's important to understand your body's requirements. Novorapid, for me, remained the same... always in accordance with food ingestion.
Remember, you are using more energy during night shifts than you would if you were sleeping therefore less insulin will be required.

I do hope this has been of some assistance. I wish you the best.

Reactions: 5 people
S

Shar67

After working 14 years of night shift it ruins your body, things will change, I actually found it easier not to eat after midnight, and try to keep meals in daytime.