Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Could we please stop derailing the thread with speculation about whether the OP means what we think they mean? And then laying our own preferences on top of that?

The original question was very clear:
My problem is that I want to stop eating bread. If I don't eat bread with dinner I'm awake at 2am very hungry and feeling unwell. Is there an alternative to bread?

This clearly suggests that bread is not desired, and that bread alternatives are. Suggestions welcome.
Maybe we could all do the OP the compliment of allowing them to make their own mind up.

No need to argue about it.

Reactions: Shas3

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think it was @Mel dCP who posted a recipe regarding reduced carb bread' ? So maybe she could help?
I do indeed!

2tbsps almond flour

1tbsp psyllium husk powder

1tsp baking powder

Seasoning to taste

2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in whatever container you want the bread to be the shape of - it rises quite a bit.
Break eggs into the tub and mix thoroughly into a good batter.
Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.
Slice, toast, treat like normal bread.

5g carbs
17g fat
16g protein

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi All,

Could we please stop derailing the thread with speculation about whether the OP means what we think they mean? And then laying our own preferences on top of that?

The original question was very clear:

This clearly suggests that bread is not desired, and that bread alternatives are. Suggestions welcome.
Maybe we could all do the OP the compliment of allowing them to make their own mind up.

No need to argue about it.

The OP, I'm sure will make up their own mind, but just to add it was a friendly suggestion from me and definitely not trying to derail the thread in any way whatsoever :)No arguing from me :angelic:

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do indeed!

2tbsps almond flour

1tbsp psyllium husk powder

1tsp baking powder

Seasoning to taste

2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in whatever container you want the bread to be the shape of - it rises quite a bit.
Break eggs into the tub and mix thoroughly into a good batter.
Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.
Slice, toast, treat like normal bread.

5g carbs
17g fat
16g protein

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ive followed youre recipe to the letter ..let it cool for a couple of hours sliced it into two slices (like two small pizza bases) i am roasting a chicken which i shall eat with it.... ill toast one and spread butter on the other and report back presently....

Reactions: PamJHS and Shas3

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just made a lovely cheese toastie with it, I hope you enjoy yours!

A2485F01-C945-4E52-9F0E-63084EF2EEE9.jpeg

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have taken my HBA1C to 42 from 89. But I now have a problem at night. Normally I have a salad for dinner with two slices of bread and butter. My problem is that I want to stop eating bread. If I don't eat bread with dinner I'm awake at 2am very hungry and feeling unwell. Is there an alternative to bread?
Rice, pasta, potato, sweet potato.

Is the reason you want to stop eating bread stronger than your desire to eat it?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Erm...respectfully...these are pretty bad choices for a type 2. Among the worst.

I maybe derailing a bit but Jim, what’s your view on whey protein drinks that have less than 1 gram carbs? I am trying to get some muscle back. I know best is real protein foods... but it is a bit difficult for me (a very occasional fish eater). Searching forum hasn’t led to much insights! Thanks

M

Member496333

I maybe derailing a bit but Jim, what’s your view on whey protein drinks that have less than 1 gram carbs? I am trying to get some muscle back. I know best is real protein foods... but it is a bit difficult for me (a very occasional fish eater). Searching forum hasn’t led to much insights! Thanks

Short answer is they’re not my thing but I honestly don’t know much about them. I’m getting plenty of animal protein from my diet. Best to start another discussion or search for an existing one, as derailing is heavily discouraged here :)

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Short answer is they’re not my thing but I honestly don’t know much about them. I’m getting plenty of animal protein from my diet. Best to start another discussion or search for an existing one, as derailing is heavily discouraged here :)

Sure thing... thanks

Reactions: Member496333

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I can relate to your description, I get hungry late at night / small hours and rummaging in the kitchen looking for something. I have a carer and she hides food from me so it can be hard to have something. I've heard other members having a coffee with heavy cream which fills you up. For me, I've found a protein bar packed with nuts. I bite small pieces and have a bottle of water to hand and drink in between so take my time. That's enough to get me off to sleep till late breakfast. Hope you get sorted. Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
By the way I gave up bread when I found out there's around 4 cubes of sugar in a 15gr slice. No good cutting down just stop but find a replacement first would my advice.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if I want bread, I usually make my own low carb alternatives using nut meal/flour (almond. hazelnut,sesame, walnut,,,) or commercial low carb "bread" mix. I'll sometimes buy a low carb loaf (e.g. Livlife) or packet of Finn rye crispbread. But I "fancy" all these occasionally and am happy to do without, same as with any of my other low carb foods.

My latest bake was a walnut and cheese loaf - walnut meal, a bit of milled flax seed, some fine grated hard cheese, butter, walnut oil, baking powder, seasoning and a couple of eggs mixed and zapped in microwave for about 3 mins. It's very small but will last me all week. So similar to Mel's, and all good healthy low carb ingredients, (except possibly for the baking powder!) and yummy with a slather of butter, a slice of Applewood cheddar and few few walnuts on top. I've also made nice toasting bread with sesame flour and rather more eggs. There are also many low carb recipes online, including paleo breads full of nuts and seeds which may be more filling to eat with salads?

Robbity

ETA A bedtime mug of hot cocoa with cream is a nice overnight filler upper and used to come highly recommended when I first joined the forum, and which I still drink most nights. But I'm also a believer in a bit of more solid and suitably low carb supper too if needs be.