Type 2 Night time hunger

IR

I have taken my HBA1C to 42 from 89. But I now have a problem at night. Normally I have a salad for dinner with two slices of bread and butter. My problem is that I want to stop eating bread. If I don't eat bread with dinner I'm awake at 2am very hungry and feeling unwell. Is there an alternative to bread?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have more protein and fat with your salad maybe? Not sure what you have with the salad but if you added an avocado or meat that should help. Nuts and seeds would help too.

M

Member496333

Meat, organs, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy. Maybe overground green vegetables if you like. No sugar no grains. So no bread, no flour, no pasta, no rice, no starchy root vegetables.

Bread’s dead :D

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Shaved chicken breast strips wrapped in lettuce and on a Rvvita cracker.

Reactions: IR

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @IR
Congratulations on your progress so far. Ditching the bread and any other carbs you can will help you get those numbers even lower. If you are cutting down on carbs you need to replace them with something that will keep your glucose levels happy, as the others have said the best way is to add extra protein and fat to your meal.

IR

Welcome to the forum @IR
Congratulations on your progress so far. Ditching the bread and any other carbs you can will help you get those numbers even lower. If you are cutting down on carbs you need to replace them with something that will keep your glucose levels happy, as the others have said the best way is to add extra protein and fat to your meal.
Thank you for all your advice, very helpful.

Reactions: Shas3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are low carb breads in the supermarkets one popular here is Bergen Soya and Linseed bread one of the lowest in carbs

But the OP says they want to stop bread..?
Which would be a great idea in my opinion...

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand where you're coming from IR. I had this problem all of my life, BUT then I ditched the carbs and now I don't have the problem at all. I still have some supper around 9pm because I just don't sleep otherwise, but its usually a just a few walnuts and a piece of cheese. I know it's hard to believe you could ever give up bread, but you can if you follow the advice of the above posters and eat protein and fat. You can do it!

Reactions: Angengray and Shas3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not for everyone

I am assuming he wants to cut the bread he is eating now because it is to high in carbs so maybe does not realise there are lower carb bread options

"My problem is that I want to stop eating bread"

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best way to stop eating something is to do just that.

It will be difficult at first, especially if you are “addicted” as I was, but you will get there in the end.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often have a small amount of almonds (25g) before bed to stave off any night time hunger.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a slice of cheese person.

As in, I try and eat enough for my evening meal (anytime from 5.30pm to 8pm) to avoid snacking later.
But I have problems sleeping if I am either peckish or my blood glucose is dropping, so occasionally a snack is necessary if I miscalculated, or ate too early.

Since I avoid carbs, most especially gluten and quick release carbs, that snack is usually either a slice of cheese, a handful of nuts, or a dollop of goatsmilk yog, with a dash of extra cream stirred in.

Remember that old adage that you should never eat cheese before bed because it would give you nightmares?
Load of nonsense - in my experience. Whereas eating carbs before bedtime is guaranteed to mess up my blood glucose levels during the night and often used to wake me up sweating and stressed after a nasty dream.

Reactions: Robbity and Shas3

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday evening I ate salad and three chicken thighs - today I am not hungry - I have spent the morning lounging around reading and just realised it is noon and I have not eaten, only drunk my waking up mug of water.
Perhaps your hunger is a lack of meat?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have taken my HBA1C to 42 from 89. But I now have a problem at night. Normally I have a salad for dinner with two slices of bread and butter. My problem is that I want to stop eating bread. If I don't eat bread with dinner I'm awake at 2am very hungry and feeling unwell. Is there an alternative to bread?

You could try bread alternatives ' ie ' low carb' type bread, which some members eat, so this may help with weaning off of normal bread altogether, if that is your goal.
Your waking up during the night hungry,it could possibly be psychological, as sometimes the things we don't have, makes us want them even more.
Have you thought of speaking to your GP, for help and support ?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could bread alternatives ' ie low carb type bread, which some members eat, so this may help with weaning off of normal bread altogether, if that is your goal.

"I want to stop eating bread" says the OP.

If someone has an addiction to bread but wishes to stop eating it then suggesting low carb breads is akin to suggesting an alcoholic "drinks a bit less" or switches from vodka to beer..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
"I want to stop eating bread" says the OP.

If someone has an addiction to bread but wishes to stop eating it then suggesting low carb breads is akin to suggesting an alcoholic "drinks a bit less" or switches from vodka to beer..

It doesn't mean they have an addiction, unless they have been diagnosed, many crave foods, but it'st not an addiction.
Low carb bread alternatives are not 'real bread' as we know it and just may be helpful to the OP.
edited typo

Last edited: