Nightmare Day

pplprincess5480

Well I think we can well and truly say that Lottie has entered her 'Honeymoon Period'. Today she has had THREE hypos. We had only had a couple of mild ones so far and then today she decides to have three. I phoned the hospital earlier to find out what to do as I couldn't seem to keep her sugars up. They have dropped her insulin doses for the time being to compensate. I'm a bit worried that they may have dropped it to much, we'll see.

Today has been an absolute nightmare, I feel completely wrung out.

leggott

I bet you do, what a horrible day it must of been. Hopefully by reducing the insulin you will avoid this happening. It might take you a few adjustments to get things right, so keep a log of everything and hopefully you will get things back on track.
Don't worry about running a bit higher than you would like for a while, it's better in the short term than her having lots of bad hypo's in one day. Leggott

annettekp

I can sympathise with this one. Erland had 2 lows yesterday and one was a cracking 1.7! Today was much better.

Erland's insulin has been very up and down since diagnosis (Feb this year). I just start to think its ok when suddenly he gets low or goes high and we have to alter it again. This week the sunny weather we've been having is making a difference as he's been outside more and therefore more active.

It makes it hard for the novice parent when things don't go as expected! And no-one who hasn't been in this situation can understand the stress of it all. I think we're lucky to have this forum where people do understand.

Hugs to you and Lottie - tomorrow is another day!

Annette

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Sending my sympathy. Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a better one for you both.

We've got no Lows here. Khaleb's running High and I'm going to increase his insulin tonight and tomorrow morning. No doubt I'll be up in the wee hours for the next few days (not that this isn't any different to any other night). I decreased Khaleb's insulin over Summer but today it is cold and rainy and it has come time to readjust the dosage.

:evil: Winter is upon us and so are the coughs and colds. :evil:

pplprincess5480

Thank you for your messages x

Yesterday was a much better day. The adjusted insulin doses have made her run a bit high but I'd rather that in the short term. I really noticed the effect of heat on her bloods sugars though and I'm glad she was high or we'd have had more hypos. Just sitting in the sun dropped her sugars by about 8 in an hour. I'm feeling a lot calmer today. I take my hat off to all of you who seem to cope so well with something that seems so huge to me.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
You should probably pat yourself on the back for doing so well. Those early months are by far the hardest. As the years role on your brain dedicates a slot for diabetes management. Mine is a little graph with an arrow either going up, down or level for Khaleb's blood sugar level. It must work like a Continuous Glucose Monitor and it even wakes me in the night at times. It is also surprising acurate. I have competitions with Khaleb's daycare staff about what his level will be after lunch and I am always right. I even warned my sister of possible hypo this afternoon (she baby sat for an hour while I drove other son out to a party) and told her to test at 3pm. His bsl was 4.6.

Thinking about your daughter's dropping blood sugar while sitting in the sun reminded me of thinking I could give Khaleb a bath before dinner. Big mistake and I don't ever do this now. He was in the 2's when he got out. Dinner comes first.

Look forward to more good days!

hismom

hi,
things will get easier. we had a similar thing recently and found that it didnt matter how much I changed his bolus it didnt make any difference so we altered his base which worked perfectly. you will get used to it and to be honest we dont even phone the db now to see if we can change his insulin intake.