No Energy And Dizziness

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've been following a low carb diet (around 30g daily) since November for my diabetes. It has helped me lower my sugars and I didn't experience any unpleasant side effects but I have struggled with feeling exhausted and dizzy. I do have vertigo but it isn't normal for it to be triggered this much and constantly. I don't feel like I have any energy and could sleep constantly which wasn't even this much of an issue with high blood sugars. I eat plenty of chicken, some red meat, eggs, low carb vegetables, salads and some stir fry mostly. I do drink plenty of liquids and put salt on my food. Did anyone else struggle with this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating enough fat and/or protein? As you reduce carbs you need to increase the good fats and perhaps some protein.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've been following a low carb diet (around 30g daily) since November for my diabetes. It has helped me lower my sugars and I didn't experience any unpleasant side effects but I have struggled with feeling exhausted and dizzy. I do have vertigo but it isn't normal for it to be triggered this much and constantly. I don't feel like I have any energy and could sleep constantly which wasn't even this much of an issue with high blood sugars. I eat plenty of chicken, some red meat, eggs, low carb vegetables, salads and some stir fry mostly. I do drink plenty of liquids and put salt on my food. Did anyone else struggle with this?
How long have you been feeling like this? How soon after beginning low carbing did it start? What meds are you on? Are you having enough fats to compensate for your lack of carbs?

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating enough fat and/or protein? As you reduce carbs you need to increase the good fats and perhaps some protein.

How long have you been feeling like this? How soon after beginning low carbing did it start? What meds are you on? Are you having enough fats to compensate for your lack of carbs?

I'd say I noticed it a few weeks in. I've mentioned it to my DN but because of my past high sugars that's what GPs pin it on, but it has gotten worse with the diet although my numbers have fallen. I use double cream, will mix cheese in my salads, and have DGF keto desserts, so I think I'm getting plenty of both fats and calories. I don't know if there's anything specific I could add in for protein other than the meat and eggs I eat?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

What, if any , medication are you on?
Has your blood pressure been checked recently?
Do you have any other medical conditions?

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What, if any , medication are you on?
Has your blood pressure been checked recently?
Do you have any other medical conditions?

I take Gliclazide, Alogliptin, Atorvastatin and Ezetimibe. I have bought a blood pressure monitor today so I can start checking it to see if that might be the issue so I can pass that information along to a doctor. I did have it checked at an ENT clinic in autumn who stated it was fine at the time. I have vertigo (I've had this since 2012 and know how it behaves and it can be triggered so to speak, which I'd say it is right now along with the exhaustion and I can't think of another cause), get frequent uveitis and psoriasis.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you checking your blood sugars when you feel dizzy? Dizziness and low energy may be a symptom of a hypo.
I understand glicazide can cause low blood sugars and your low carb diet may not provide enough carbs for your glic dose.

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you checking your blood sugars when you feel dizzy? Dizziness and low energy may be a symptom of a hypo.
I understand glicazide can cause low blood sugars and your low carb diet may not provide enough carbs for your glic dose.

Yes, it's not that. I know it sounds silly but I had some hypos when I had an upset stomach and that's more of a shaking experience rather than dizzy for me. I test 5-6 times a day and record it. All 5s today, and 7 two hours after dinner.

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to go back to your doctor as your gliclazide dose may need altering because you've gone so low carb.
Here's the link to gliclazide things to watch for. I think you'll recognise soem of them.
You might want to keep an eye on your ketones too.

I actually have been struggling with my sugars being in the 9-12 range for no obvious reason or diet change (they have just come back down for the first time since new years in the last few days with no change to what I eat), so I don't think my bloods are going too low... I'm currently trying to get re-tested but my hospital appointments keep getting cancelled. The symptoms have remained consistent throughout these changes. I can ask if I can be given something to check my ketones, though.

I do feel I have more energy after dinner. But I can't see myself eating more earlier in the day as I've been finding my bloods are more likely to spike then.

Last edited:

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage
I was diagnosed at beginning of December and like yourself I went on a low-carb diet. I test my BG regularly and the levels have been fine. I've had one or two hypo and Hypers weekly due to the odd treat or skipped meal/snack, but nothing drastic (I'm one of the more lucky ones in terms of my diabetes). I'm not on any medication and I like to think I've been able to manage this on my own.

Since day one of my diagnosis, I changed my diet and started to exercise more. I was always regular at the gym and continue to do so - twice weekly/1-2 hours exercise and recently started running 2-3 miles twice weekly. I've lost 10 lb in weight in 3-4 weeks.

This week I've been exhausted and started experiencing memory problems (my BG has still been ok). I slept all-day on Tuesday (my day off work) which is highly irregular for me. I don't sleep more than 5 hours a night normally. Ive put this down to change in diet and exercise, I cannot think this being anything else it could be. I log my food and exercise using myfitnesspal app and on a few occasions I've not met my recommended calorie intake. I'll make some tweaks, but of course if this continues I'll see the doctors.

All the best on your journey.

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@starlightrays if you have been struggling with your levels in the 9 to 12 range for a while and now they have come down to 5, you may be experiencing false hypos.
As others have said, I recommend you get your Glic dose checked with your doc.
I also suggest you test at the time of your dizzy episodes.

Pammypants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being cold
I think you need to go back to your doctor as your gliclazide dose may need altering because you've gone so low carb.
Here's the link to gliclazide things to watch for. I think you'll recognise soem of them.
You might want to keep an eye on your ketones too.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/gliclazide/#:~:text=Gliclazide is a type of,of sugar in your blood.
Glicazide can cause water retention and cause hypos ask your GP for some support. If you are on tablets for high blood pressure your blood pressure needs to be monitored, mine is normal now. I have come off my tablets and feel much better now.I hope you get well soon. Look up Freshwell website and upload their app, it’s all free there will be a new cook book available tomorrow.

starlightrays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've rang my GP and they've put my request for a blood test forward, but are emergency only currently because most staff have COVID. I've never had high blood pressure or medication for it. My higher readings were for about 2 weeks and I've had these symptoms consistently throughout but I will continue to keep an eye on it. I'm also starting to take magnesium and potassium supplements to see if that might make a difference in my energy levels. I don't think it's my diabetes, I think it could be an issue with my new diet though.

I just don't see my dose being reduced when we were actually considering starting me on metformin again too (but hopefully not now my numbers are back down).