No Insulin and a good reading?

Maple

I was diagnosed as T1 around 9 months ago and am on a basal/bolus regime (20 u of Lantus and a 1:10 of humalog). Well... perhaps because it was Monday but I forgot my insulin at home today (first time I've ever done that!) - to make matters worse, my BG tester gave up the ghost this morning. So, I went to the pharmacy, bought a new one and checked my blood when I got home with a bit of trepidation thinking it was going to be rather high having not used insulin all day.

To my surprise... it was 5.1. Is that 'normal'? I know the 5.1 is before a meal but to get that without insulin?

Maple

I had a bacon sadwhich for breakfast (bit of a treat, don't normally...) some fruit, unsalted nuts, a couple of baby bells and chicken tika wrap bought off the sandwhich lady lunch (forgot my normal lunch with my insulin!)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Could this be attributed to the Honeymoon Period often experienced by T1's after starting insulin treatment?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
Could this be attributed to the Honeymoon Period often experienced by T1's after starting insulin treatment?

That is my thinking too which would explain your excellent 5.1 reading.

mbudzi

Hi Maple, I'm also about 9 months in and had a similar experience of "not needing insulin" over Xmas which lead to me changing my regime from 2 a day intermediate acting Humulin I to just Novarapid with meals now.

When you were taking your insulin :lol: did you find that you had hypos every few days?

Maple

mbudzi said:
Hi Maple, I'm also about 9 months in and had a similar experience of "not needing insulin" over Xmas which lead to me changing my regime from 2 a day intermediate acting Humulin I to just Novarapid with meals now.

When you were taking your insulin :lol: did you find that you had hypos every few days?

No actually... I've never had a proper hypo... only two occurences of dropping below 3 but caught it before anything bad happend

Maple

noblehead said:
Sid Bonkers said:

That is my thinking too which would explain your excellent 5.1 reading.

Not sure... can the 'honeymoon' period comb back? never had anything like this before... today, almost the same thing.. I had two banana's for breakfast, purposely did not take insulin then checked my readings after a bit and it was 4.9... usually I spike a bit with a banana...