NO Insulin - whilst Out and about - Help !

keysys

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I assume this must have happened to many people - it was the 1st time I had forgotton my Insulin and testing kit in 20 years !
I tried to see if the Boots chemist at Bluewater shopping center could help but the only thing they could suggest was to call NHS Direct on 111.
I did this and they were very helpful and could have issued me with an emergency electronic prescription but Boots at Bluewater
( UK's biggest shopping center ) was not on their list - so no help there.

It occurs to me that this situation is probably not uncommon so I wonder if we could somehow campaign to allow Pharmacies to have Testing and single Injection kits available for emergency use ?

Something for everyone to think about for the future perhaps

I would love to hear from anyone with any ideas on how to do this

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I don't worry on the odd occasion I've been out for the day and forgotten my insulin. All that will happen is that your BS may go into the teens or 20s for a short period. Just cut the carbs whilst away and correct as needed when you return home.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I assume this must have happened to many people - it was the 1st time I had forgotton my Insulin and testing kit in 20 years !
I tried to see if the Boots chemist at Bluewater shopping center could help but the only thing they could suggest was to call NHS Direct on 111.
I did this and they were very helpful and could have issued me with an emergency electronic prescription but Boots at Bluewater

It occurs to me that this situation is probably not uncommon so I wonder if we could somehow campaign to allow Pharmacies to have Testing and single Injection kits available for emergency use ?

Welcome to THE Forum @keysys. Forty years ago, as a Type 1, I arrived in London finding my insulin was missing. I went to Charing Cross Hospital and they contacted my hospital for confirmation. I eventually got what I needed from Charing Cross. If they were that careful then, you can bet they are even more so now, although computerisation should make it easier. I cannot see that in the current age of litigation, a campaign would bring this about. I fully understand your thinking and wish you continuing good control.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm neither T1, nor insulin dependent so have no skin in this game, for now, howeverr, having read these forums for a while, my reaction would be "What would a single injection kit" comprise of? There are so many different insulins and individual's rations differ, nver mind taking into account anything to do with what they might be eating or have eaten on the day.

Some might only need a fraction of a "single dose kit", and others could require more than one forr their needs - even if there ws any generic sort of insulin.

Insulin is both a potential life saver and a potential killer. I wouldn't like to be a total stranger pharmacist taking responsibility for handing over insulin to someone I'd never seen before, who might be about to do themselves some dire harm.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello, Oh I love Bluewater Shopping centre :D
I think the idea would work but they would have to waste a cartridge or vial or prefilled pen in order for you to do a single shot. But you would have to go through the whole process of proving you're indeed a diabetic and not abusing yourself with insulin. I know it's an uncommon situation. I have been in situations where I forgot my bolus so I go low carb and I kept testing (I had my testing kit on me) and that has helped me get through a few hours before going home. Low carb does help if your basal is correct. However I have been in situations where I sucked it up and spent a few hours with a high blood sugar before going home. It's not pleasant but what else can you do?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If this happens to me on a day trip, I cut the trip short and go home for my gear. Had a pump failure when I was out in Cardiff one day, and while I had spare pump stuff, I didn’t have quite enough insulin to activate the thing. So we headed back and I used a syringe to give myself small doses until I got home. For me, a few hours out in town without my stuff isn’t worth the inevitable horrendous high I’ll have to deal with later.

Reactions: porl69