No longer able to control my glucose levels

Pittston

For about four years I have successfully controlled my BG and indeed my last Hba1c test 6 months ago was a reading of 41. Suddenly three months later I could no longer control my levels and last week I had a reading one day of 11.3. Just before lunch today they were 7.00. I have been so successful I just cannot fathom it out. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you test before and after meals to get a feel of how different meals affect you?

I don't know what kind of foods you eat but maybe there is improvement to be found there?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Or you might have something brewing? A cold, a UTI or something like that? This can raise your BG even if you don't have many symptoms otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For about four years I have successfully controlled my BG and indeed my last Hba1c test 6 months ago was a reading of 41. Suddenly three months later I could no longer control my levels and last week I had a reading one day of 11.3. Just before lunch today they were 7.00. I have been so successful I just cannot fathom it out. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
I’m sure we can give you some support but we do need a bit more detail. What happened 3 months ago to make you realise you were losing control? Your meter/cgm or an hb1ac? What else happened around then? Any new medication? Covid? Stress? Change of eating pattern or foods? From what to what?

Pittston

Thanks everyone but I have not changed anything. I just did a bg test one day and realised my levels were up and since then I simply cannot control it. I follow a low carb diet. I am now feeling very unwell plus I am having adrenaline rushes which shoots my BP up. I Feel there is some connectio.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone but I have not changed anything. I just did a bg test one day and realised my levels were up and since then I simply cannot control it. I follow a low carb diet. I am now feeling very unwell plus I am having adrenaline rushes which shoots my BP up. I Feel there is some connectio.
You do realise that bgl vary (sometimes a lot) throughout the day? A test taken after a decent period of not eating will vary a lot from one after a meal containing carbs. I’m assuming you’ve continued to test following the one that alarmed you? No illness?

What sort of levels are you seeing? how much change from previously? Measured how? And what is a typical days food?Have you consulted your dr about theses symptoms? Had any bloods done?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Could it be vax booster?

Reactions: welsh-judy1

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could it be vax booster?
Have you recently started a statin, or used a steroid treatment? My heart meds increase my bgl by 2 mmol/l.

When you saw the 11 reading, I presume it was after a meal. But usually we take the reading 2 hours after eating because by then we have a target that this is the sort of rise that allows us to all compare apples for apples. If you test earlier than that then you might catch a spike which should not last long and is considered to be less harmful than a sustained level.

You mention adrenaline - stress and intense exercise both raise bgl levels because they trigger the fight or flight stance and your body stops storing glucose as it expects to use the glucose for instant energy. But stress does not consume that energy, so the sugar piles up instead.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything can up blood sugars. A flu or C19 jab, an infection (viral or bacterial, like a UTI or covid), statins, steroids taken for another issue, prolonged periods of stress, sleepless or restless nights... It doesn't have to be food, per se. Look at these past weeks/months... Did anything change? You kept your diet the same, but did anything else happen? A loss, a change in routine... And barring any of that, could it be the recipe of something you usually eat changed? I did get the rug pulled out from under me a few times, with "new and improved" ingredients from what were perfectly fine staples before.

I hope you'll figure it out. And if push comes to shove, and there's nothing to be found, you might want to consider metformin or berberin to get back in order? (Dunno whether you can tolerate it, but thought I'd put it out there). Maybe get an MOT at the GP to rule anything more troubling out?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I had a reading one day of 11.3
Did you check that result by re washing your hands and doing a second test to confirm the first.
Something on your fingers, a faulty strip, even the accuracy of the meters could account for your 11.3.
The meters are accurate to +/- 15% but for only 95% of the time, the 95% means that effectively 1 in 20 test results could be wildly inaccurate and the manufacturer would not consider that meter faulty

• Informative
Reactions: JAT1 and Oldvatr

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Pittston

your profile doesn‘t say which type of diabetes you are on, or whether you are taking any diabetes medication.
That information would really help people to tailor their suggestions to your personal information.

Pittston

To everyone who gave me ideas etc I feel I must update you. The night after posting this query I was admitted to hospital with BP of 211/100, heart rate circa 150. I felt very unwell and was hospitalised for a week. The situation was put down to adrenaline rushes so I am awaiting results of a test for a pheochromocytoma ( adrenal tumour). During my time in hospital my blood sugar rose rapidly over three or four days and then on the seventh day upon discharge it was 6.00 . Since then it is generally around 6.2 before lunch but by 5.30pm is between 4.5 and 5.00. Whilst in hospital I caught covid so all in all I have had a rough time with still no firm diagnosis.
Thanks everyone