No more hot cross buns for me...

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up to a fbg of 8.5 today which went up to 10.2 before I ate 2 hard boiled eggs at 11am.
I had two small hot cross buns at 2.30pm. Before this my level was 8.1 and two hours later it has shot up to 14.2!
Luckily I am testing frequently when I eat something I haven't had since diagnosis and I will be avoiding hot cross buns in future. Knowledge is very motivating. X

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I woke up to a fbg of 8.5 today which went up to 10.2 before I ate 2 hard boiled eggs at 11am.
I had two small hot cross buns at 2.30pm. Before this my level was 8.1 and two hours later it has shot up to 14.2!
Luckily I am testing frequently when I eat something I haven't had since diagnosis and I will be avoiding hot cross buns in future. Knowledge is very motivating. X
Does the same to me. Went up to 10.5 which is not my usual bgl AVOID !!!!!

Read my lips....... very tasty but lethal even with butter.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough, I have a batch of these in the oven as I type

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/03/16/low-carb-hot-cross-buns/

They are low carb, and I won't know for another... er... 22 mins whether they are any good or not.
But I was rather astonished how easy they were to make. :D

Will let you know in 21 mins ( + eating time) how they went.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update: yummy spiciness, OK texture, could have been sweeter (probably my fault), and Mr B pronounces them a success and has already eaten 2.

Definitely hit my HotCrossBunSpot.

Edited to add: on further discussion, we have decided that they would be improved by including dried fruit, as per the real HCBs. Since raisins and sultanas are silly-high in sugar, we have agreed to try dried cranberries.

Last edited:
Reactions: pete254

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the same to me. Went up to 10.5 which is not my usual bgl AVOID !!!!!

Read my lips....... very tasty but lethal even with butter.
I've been so good at avoiding the obvious culprits, I even refused home made Christmas cake ( the one I fed with brandy daily for weeks) which felt like a real sacrifice. I just didn't resist the hot cross buns today but I won't be having any chocolate this weekend. X

Reactions: Prem51

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I was going out to buy some shortly. :(
I'll probably still get some, it's only once a year.
That's very true @Prem. Usually by Good Friday I have eaten a lot of hot cross buns but not this year, fell at the last hurdle lol. X

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy a pack of 9 mini ones from M&S - not sure of carb count as I can't remember and won't be indulging until Sunday - I have half of the bottom slice, hubby has one then the other 7 get donated to pensioners Easter tea in the centre behind us - I love them too much but have this little treat every Easter so know I can cope with it.

When I worked in the bakery we made spice buns all year round - they became cross buns at Easter with a flour paste cross and sugar glaze and some extra ingredients - they are NEVER hot cross buns - the hot only applies if they are actually hot!

I used to have a spice bun toasted, buttered with grated cheese in as my lunch now and then - lush!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I bought some Sainsburys 'Taste the Difference' Hot X Buns. They are 36.5 gms of carbs per bun. I didn't test before I ate them, but I'm usually around 5.5. 2 hours after eating I was at 8.2, after 3 hours down to 7.4. This morning my fbg was 5.4 . So not too bad I think.

Reactions: Energize and Swiggy
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I made some last night, they looked like a cross between a scone and a roll. The recipe I used said to add a cup of boiling water to the recipe, but my mixture was a little on the soft side, so I didn't put it in. They tasted okay with some olive oil spread.

Edited to say, this is the first time I have ever made any type of Hot X buns ( I used to love the M&S wholemeal ones :hungry:)

Last edited:

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Swiggy

Sorry we both can't enjoy a hot cross bun! I miss them too..
LBB

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had sliced halumi cheese fried in olive oil until crispy on the outside, olives, roasted pepper and tomatoes. It was delish and I have forgotten all about hot cross buns and chocolate eggs...

Reactions: Prem51 and Ultramum

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have eaten two today, as it's my daughter's birthday have decided to take the day off have had a slice of birthday cake shredded duck in pancakes with hoisin sauce sauce have no idea as to BG as too afraid to check. Hot cross buns where lovely.

Reactions: Energize and Prem51

amber22

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a hot cross bun recipe which I have made twice in the last week. The recipe is one I have adapted from here -
youtube video with link for recipe pdf below the video.
This basic keto bread roll recipe make 6 buns, 1.8g carbs each.
With the additions below add in the extra carbs. I used myfitnesspal to calculate.
17.25g for the currants, 2.5g max. for spices and zest.

To this I added the following.
25g currants - or other dried fruit cut up if you like if they are large pieces.
1teaspoon Sukrin gold - use your own liquid, granular or powdered sweeteners
Grated zest of half an orange
1/2 teaspoon orange oil (optional)
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
I forgot the grated nutmeg the second batch.
4 drops liquid sucralose

The method is in the video and the pdf. link.
The difference is that I added the extra dry ingredients and zest to the basic dry ingredients in the bowl, and the liquid sweetener and orange oil in with the water once boiled just before adding to the dry ingredients.
These work out at about 5.1g carbs for each bun. This does not include the carb count for any sweeteners which could be zero depending on what you use.

N.B.
The first time I tried the bread roll recipe of the type that uses almond flour, psyllium and egg white it failed miserably and many months passed before I tried again. I find I get bigger, fluffier buns if I sift the ground almonds first, have the egg whites at room temperature and use a fan oven. I use the cheapest Whitwroths ground whole almonds regularly on offer.
The fist time I made these I used 190 ml of boiling water but the second time I used 150 ml and they were just fine. It is important not to use too much water or your mixture will be like cake mix rather than dough.

In between these two successful batches, I made another batch from the hot cross bun recipe on the website of the video at the top of this post. That recipe uses whole eggs. I ended up with a cakey mixture which barely rose, giving me heavy dense and some of them under cooked buns. This is because the mixture was too wet and the cooking time was not long enough. 30 minutes instead of the 40 minutes for the basic recipe.

My buns have no crosses on them! It was very late last night and I just wanted to get them in the oven, take them out and go to bed.

I enjoy these buns best with butter, a little almond butter and a teaspoonful of Joseph's sugar free maple syrup. It makes them taste of marmalade! The orange zest and sweetness of the syrup I suppose.

I hope this has helped someone to make and enjoy delicious low carb hot cross buns. Maybe you'll be clever enough to actually work out how to put a cross on them, unlike me.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ultramum