NO more sugar on cereals! haha

onemanunit

Dislikes
Let's not get into that.
Since of 1am this morning I've decided to stop having sugar on my cereals..... I dislike the high blood feelings of doing such a thing... even though it's mostly controled by injection.

I woke to a hypo, went downstairs, filled a bowl with cheerios, and put 4-5 'COOKING size table spoons' of sugar onto of it with milk, 5mins later the bowl was empty.

It must have been a pretty bad one..... , I could feel my heart trying to burst out of my chest by beating lol..... And now this morning my mouth is dry (well was... :p) and with saliva all thick and wierd, pure symptoms of high blood =(.... SO from now on, it's cereals that don't require sugar :p. (unless needed for a hypo, which then will be taken in more moderation lol...)

Alex.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Most cereals have sugar already in them anyway,Alex.Check the values on the box.So you are really adding extra sugar to the sugar that's already there!!Giving it up would be a good thing! :lol:

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
I think it's ok every so often. Personally I adore shredded wheat mixed with cornflakes and lashings of sugar sprinkled on top from time to time and giving it up would just not suit me :) Obviously I would not eat this every day - but I just increase my usual breakfast dose by a couple of units and this seems to do the trick. I think after a hypo, your liver pumps out glucose, you feel hank marvin so you scoff your face with sugar because you know you can - at least I do anyway. :mrgreen: However it's easy to go overboard, hence why the BG is very high afterwards. If I have a hypo nowadays I take one or two glucose tablets or large swig of lucozade - then go straight for the brown bread or some sort of long acting carb to keep the BG's stable. Sounds obvious I know but as I said, sometimes whilst having a hypo I just feel like just stuffing my face with copious amounts of sugar :!: I think when I used to have midnight or early morning hypos it was always easier to me to go for sugar loaded cereal - mainly because I was half dead from waking with hypo, sleepy and it was easier to just grab the packet of cereal and spread sugar on top and go back to sleep. However with not taking the insulin beforehand (obviously because of hypo) the BG's would be too high afterwards. Same as if I ate half a packet of biscuits too. The key is to stick to the limit of how much sugar you should take for a hypo then eat the carbs after, sounds easy I know but at 1am when just wanting to snooze - I know exactly what you mean :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Oh Dear! I don't think I could have done that even before

onemanunit

Dislikes
Let's not get into that.
It was the only thing in the house :( lol. Normally I have wheatabix, Tablets and brown bread is so good!, I need to go back to doing that.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
I think it's ok every now and again. However for hypo treatment it is best to stick to a small amount of glucose (or larger amount depending on how low you are) and not go overboard. I think they say 10 grams but as I don't know too much about carb count yet I would say what I said above which is one or two swigs of lucozade or a glucose tablets. I've been told I can get them for free via prescription however I'm not sure how true this actually is :? Either way they are readily available in any chemist and I always keep either them or lucozade by my bed so I don't have to 'wait' or use energy making food before taking glucose. For breakfast usually I have muesli (without sugar as prefer it that way) or thick brown toast with lashings of melted butter from the local shop before work. Sometimes it will be a fried breakfast treat and others it will be a weetabix or shredded wheat with one heaped tablespoon of sugar on top (yum). The key is working out the carbs and adjusting the dose - which if my BG's are at the right level in the morning this is easy but if they aren't it kind of messes up the BG's for the rest of the day and treats are banned for the day. It is starting to work but sometimes I'll just get really odd readings and not know why. Anyway point is that during hypo I would just take normal amount of sugar and I would allow for the cereal treats or any other treat from time to time - but that is my personal preference. I feel I wouldn't be too happy if I couldn't help myself to the odd 'naughty' breakfast or slice of chocolate cake... life would not be worth living for me :lol:

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
if there's one thing i miss about eating cereal... its' the sprinkle of sugar on top! I used to love that!

I do still eat cereal... but try to stick with the fruits 'n' fibre or shredded wheatey type cereals instead of the chocolotes and honey's of the cereal world...

Rach79

Dislikes
Stuboy - think you can have it every now and again. You are Type 1 so can adjust the insulin dose according to the carbs. Obviously not daily because it might not always be right but every so often is cool 8)