no onions no garlic

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
I am lacto vegetarian, but due to my religion do not cook with onions or garlic. I have been newly diagnosed with Type 2 and wondered if any one can recommend recipes/ a book that would have low carb recipes that are vege (egg free too) and no onion/garlic? I'm guessing there might not be, but just wanted to see. Thanks in advance :) I'm currently doing a very low calorie diet (3 shakes a day), but am thinking ahead for the future.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
You might be best going for a low carb vegan (so that you don't get egg in the recipe) recipe book, and miss out any onion or garlic, but add in other herbs and spices instead. It would alter the flavour a bit but you could try dishes out and see what substitutes suit you best? Mushrooms - of all types - add in an earthy, warm flavour and you can use other herbs instead of garlic. Bell peppers add a lot of flavour, as do chillis.

If you want to, you can add cheese (vegan or dairy)

Search on low carb vegan at Amazon, or just use google - you'll get a lot of books or sites showing up.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guna108 With respect, can I ask what is your religion that rules out garlic and onions, I've not heard of such a thing before.
To get a kick that these alliums give food I would suggest fresh ginger and chillies.
Wish you well.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With respect, can I ask what is your religion that rules out garlic and onions, I've not heard of such a thing before.

Same here, I'm intrigued, and wondering why?

Edited: just done a quick google and I assume it's Krishna? and interesting as to why, the allium family belong to the passion and ignorance categories, and therefore increase those 'attributes'.

Last edited:

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I follow Gaudiya Vaishnavism. Yes, in the Bhagavad Gita it is stated that onion and garlic are in the categories of passion and ignorance. Thanks for your replies.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replying and sharing these great ideas. i don't eat much diary anyway so could probably go vegan again quite easily. Do you know if dal and soya chunks are ok to eat on a low carb diet?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying and sharing these great ideas. i don't eat much diary anyway so could probably go vegan again quite easily. Do you know if dal and soya chunks are ok to eat on a low carb diet?
I've yet to really understand what effect dals have on my BGs, so I tend to go easy on portion size, though I do like a good dal. Not tried soya chunks so can't comment there.

Reactions: Guna108

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few years ago my son had to avoid garlic and onions, for health rather than religious reasons. I used to use Asafetida powder in dishes to impart a mild oniony flavour to dishes. I got it from Amazon. I have no clue about any carb content as I wasn’t diabetic in those days. Here’s a bit about it
http://food.krishna.com/blog/spice-profile-asafetidahing

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I eat a lot of tofu - is that what you mean by soya chunks?

Tofu straight out of the packet (or the tub if you make it yourself) is less than 1g of carb per 100g tofu. I make my own and have scrambled tofu for breakfast most mornings, with seitan, and tinned cherry tomatoes. I end up with about 15g of carb but I don't eat low carb on purpose; it just turns out that way for this meal. (and for many low carbers 15g would be too much for one meal). I am not sure how low you want to go. Tofu can be the centre of many dishes in so very many ways; any good vegan recipe book will give you loads of ideas. How much it is when you eat it depends on how you cook it.

Dal is a fairly high carb food I'm afraid. - it is made from beans or legumes and they are both fairly carby. I recommend eating a small portion and measuring your blood glucose levels to see what effect dal has on you.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I assume you could just leave onion/garlic out of any recipe.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[I use asafoetida in my cooking (well, I did until I started this Exante diet!). Now I am not really sure what to do because I thought the best thing was to lose weight, but I don't know if these shakes are low enough in carbs- they have about 17 g each sachet.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was eating chapatis and dal every day. I will look at some tofu recipes . The soya chunks I use are like TVP (textured vegetable protein).

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Guna108 With respect, can I ask what is your religion that rules out garlic and onions, I've not heard of such a thing before.
To get a kick that these alliums give food I would suggest fresh ginger and chillies.
Wish you well.
Just want to clarify, above mentioned is not a religion but a community, religion is hindu, in hindu I guess the person belongs to baniya community with follow above mentioned way of eating, it's not a religion and no, it doesn't forbid anything. Most people do it out of their faith.
Yes meat products are taboo though.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Veryanxious Just as a reply- I don't belong to the baniya community. I have taken diskha from a Gaudiya Vaishnava guru and follow a lacto vegetarian diet ,with no onions/garlic ,as part of my initiation vows. ( I was vegetarian before that though). Generally, vaishnavas will be vegetarian even if they are not initiated into a sampradaya ,from my experience. Within my faith community the eating of meat,fish eggs, onions and garlic are prohibited In that sense we are different in terms of our diet from some followers of Hinduism-no offense to anyone. I hope that clarifies things a bit. :) Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and suggestions to help manage my T2 , so far. I'm very appreciative as I got no answers from my Dr and didn't really know what to do.

Last edited:

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Veryanxious Just as a reply- I don't belong to the baniya community. I have taken diskha from a Gaudiya Vaishnava guru and follow a lacto vegetarian diet ,with no onions/garlic ,as part of my initiation vows. ( I was vegetarian before that though). Generally, vaishnavas will be vegetarian even if they are not initiated into a sampradaya ,from my experience. Within my faith community the eating of meat,fish eggs, onions and garlic are prohibited In that sense we are different in terms of our diet from some followers of Hinduism-no offense to anyone. I hope that clarifies things a bit. :) Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and suggestions to help manage my T2 , so far. I'm very appreciative as I got no answers from my Dr and didn't really know what to do.
Oh.. this was new. Thanks for the info.