1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

no onions no garlic

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Guna108, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Guna108

Guna108 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi.
    I am lacto vegetarian, but due to my religion do not cook with onions or garlic. I have been newly diagnosed with Type 2 and wondered if any one can recommend recipes/ a book that would have low carb recipes that are vege (egg free too) and no onion/garlic? I'm guessing there might not be, but just wanted to see. Thanks in advance :) I'm currently doing a very low calorie diet (3 shakes a day), but am thinking ahead for the future.

2. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You might be best going for a low carb vegan (so that you don't get egg in the recipe) recipe book, and miss out any onion or garlic, but add in other herbs and spices instead. It would alter the flavour a bit but you could try dishes out and see what substitutes suit you best? Mushrooms - of all types - add in an earthy, warm flavour and you can use other herbs instead of garlic. Bell peppers add a lot of flavour, as do chillis.

If you want to, you can add cheese (vegan or dairy)

Search on low carb vegan at Amazon, or just use google - you'll get a lot of books or sites showing up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@Guna108 With respect, can I ask what is your religion that rules out garlic and onions, I've not heard of such a thing before.
    To get a kick that these alliums give food I would suggest fresh ginger and chillies.
    Wish you well.

4. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same here, I'm intrigued, and wondering why?

Edited: just done a quick google and I assume it's Krishna? and interesting as to why, the allium family belong to the passion and ignorance categories, and therefore increase those 'attributes'.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #4 slip, Jun 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  5. Guna108

I follow Gaudiya Vaishnavism. Yes, in the Bhagavad Gita it is stated that onion and garlic are in the categories of passion and ignorance. Thanks for your replies.

• Informative Informative x 4
  6. Guna108

Thanks for replying and sharing these great ideas. i don't eat much diary anyway so could probably go vegan again quite easily. Do you know if dal and soya chunks are ok to eat on a low carb diet?

7. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I've yet to really understand what effect dals have on my BGs, so I tend to go easy on portion size, though I do like a good dal. Not tried soya chunks so can't comment there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

A few years ago my son had to avoid garlic and onions, for health rather than religious reasons. I used to use Asafetida powder in dishes to impart a mild oniony flavour to dishes. I got it from Amazon. I have no clue about any carb content as I wasn’t diabetic in those days. Here’s a bit about it
    http://food.krishna.com/blog/spice-profile-asafetidahing

• Like Like x 1
  9. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I eat a lot of tofu - is that what you mean by soya chunks?

Tofu straight out of the packet (or the tub if you make it yourself) is less than 1g of carb per 100g tofu. I make my own and have scrambled tofu for breakfast most mornings, with seitan, and tinned cherry tomatoes. I end up with about 15g of carb but I don't eat low carb on purpose; it just turns out that way for this meal. (and for many low carbers 15g would be too much for one meal). I am not sure how low you want to go. Tofu can be the centre of many dishes in so very many ways; any good vegan recipe book will give you loads of ideas. How much it is when you eat it depends on how you cook it.

Dal is a fairly high carb food I'm afraid. - it is made from beans or legumes and they are both fairly carby. I recommend eating a small portion and measuring your blood glucose levels to see what effect dal has on you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I assume you could just leave onion/garlic out of any recipe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Guna108

[I use asafoetida in my cooking (well, I did until I started this Exante diet!). Now I am not really sure what to do because I thought the best thing was to lose weight, but I don't know if these shakes are low enough in carbs- they have about 17 g each sachet.

12. Guna108

I was eating chapatis and dal every day. I will look at some tofu recipes . The soya chunks I use are like TVP (textured vegetable protein).

13. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Just want to clarify, above mentioned is not a religion but a community, religion is hindu, in hindu I guess the person belongs to baniya community with follow above mentioned way of eating, it's not a religion and no, it doesn't forbid anything. Most people do it out of their faith.
    Yes meat products are taboo though.

14. Guna108

@Veryanxious Just as a reply- I don't belong to the baniya community. I have taken diskha from a Gaudiya Vaishnava guru and follow a lacto vegetarian diet ,with no onions/garlic ,as part of my initiation vows. ( I was vegetarian before that though). Generally, vaishnavas will be vegetarian even if they are not initiated into a sampradaya ,from my experience. Within my faith community the eating of meat,fish eggs, onions and garlic are prohibited In that sense we are different in terms of our diet from some followers of Hinduism-no offense to anyone. I hope that clarifies things a bit. :) Thanks to everyone who has given me advice and suggestions to help manage my T2 , so far. I'm very appreciative as I got no answers from my Dr and didn't really know what to do.

• Informative Informative x 2
    #14 Guna108, Jun 7, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  15. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Oh.. this was new. Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook