Noctura Sleep mask for diabetic retinopathy

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've also been using the mask for a while now. Although I don't have retinopathy, I'm trying to be on the safe side. After nearly 2 years I believe this is still well worth the money I'm paying every 3 months. I also found the mask uncomfortable at times, especially as I've never been able to change my habit of sleeping on my sides. I'm just wondering whether any of you (@IzzyWhizzy?) have also been contacted recently by the manufacturer (Polyphotonix) with the opportunity to trial a new design of the mask. Definitely looking forward to it!
@BEVGT I get my mask directly form Wade Optician in Darlington but I think you can find more options on the website.

Last edited by a moderator:

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I've also been using the mask for a while now. Although I don't have retinopathy, I'm trying to be on the safe side. After nearly 2 years I believe this is still well worth the money I'm paying every 3 months. I also found the mask uncomfortable at times, especially as I've never been able to change my habit of sleeping on my sides. I'm just wondering whether any of you (@IzzyWhizzy?) have also been contacted recently by the manufacturer (Polyphotonix) with the opportunity to trial a new design of the mask. Definitely looking forward to it!
@BEVGT I get my mask directly form Wade Optician in Darlington but I think you can find more options on the website.

Hi Caesar

How much roughly does this cost please ? (If you don't mind!)
Is Wades the opticians down post house wynd? (Fellow Darlo resident)

Thanks
Victoria

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
Hi Caesar

Thanks
Victoria
I have problem only with my left eye and a friend got an eye patch for me fron our equivilent of £ shop I wear it at night when I have the lights on and watch tv and its improved my problem massively, maybe I am just lucky

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Caesar

Thanks
Victoria
Hi @victoria21
I have used the mask and the cost is £250 for a 12 week mask.
It has improved my background retinopathy and I would recommend it.

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @victoria21 and sorry for my late reply... I've been away all week! As himtoo has mentioned it's £250, which include 1 mask and a detailed eye check. Every 12 weeks you'll need a replacement of the mask and new photographs of your eyes are taken to see if any progress has been achieved. I used to go to Alex Wade in Darlington too (29 Post House Wynd, that's correct)! I've moved to the Outside Clinic recently. The manufacturer of the mask are using this company to deliver the mask around the country and I like the fact that they can come straight to my house or office to take photographs of my eyes and give me the new mask.

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks very much for all the feedback, it's a massive help! I've got an appointment tomorrow at Wades
It certainly won't make it worse so fingers crossed it improves.
May look at the Outside Clinic thanks Caesar also.
With such positive feedback everywhere, I am surprised the NHS don't at least recommend it

Reactions: himtoo

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just a quick update.. I bought the mask on Thursday. Used it Thursday night and last night.

Following my surgery on 31st for laser PRP in theatre this time, my eye has bled twice. As a result, it reduced my vision in my left eye to almost nothing due to the blood obscuring it. Was signed off and obviously, no driving. It's been getting me down quite a bit. I'm a bit of a workaholic and very independent!

Since using the mask, it's cleared quite a lot of the blood. I couldn't even see fingers being held up in the clinic out of that eye, today I can see large words and read them!!!

It's not cheap or NHS however, worth every penny so far.

Dark Horse

Just a quick update.. I bought the mask on Thursday. Used it Thursday night and last night.

Following my surgery on 31st for laser PRP in theatre this time, my eye has bled twice. As a result, it reduced my vision in my left eye to almost nothing due to the blood obscuring it. Was signed off and obviously, no driving. It's been getting me down quite a bit. I'm a bit of a workaholic and very independent!

Since using the mask, it's cleared quite a lot of the blood. I couldn't even see fingers being held up in the clinic out of that eye, today I can see large words and read them!!!

It's not cheap or NHS however, worth every penny so far.
The theoretical mode of action of the Noctura mask is to prevent VEGF production and hence future growth of new vessels (proliferative diabetic retinopathy) and would not be expected to affect how quickly blood clears that has arisen from existing new vessels. It is likely, therefore, that the improvement you have seen since starting the mask is coincidental.

victoria21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was advised that it would help with the bleeds post purchase.
When I have stopped using the mask temporarily after anti VEGF injections in one eye, the vision in my other eye blurred more again with the only change being the mask?.
I would doubt my personal experience is psychosomatic but I am a Transport Manager not a doctor so I can only judge by logic, hospital feedback and personal experience!

Last edited:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was advised that it would help with the bleeds post purchase.
When I have stopped using the mask temporarily after anti VEGF injections in one eye, the vision in my other eye blurred more again with the only change being the mask?.
I would doubt my personal experience is psychosomatic but I am a Transport Manager not a doctor so I can only judge by logic, hospital feedback and personal experience!
perhaps if you have a word with the people at Noctura in their customer service dept and also talk to your eye consultant next appointment for their views on your progress.
it sounds encouraging:)

edmundozeta

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I am currently using this and finding I am getting good results after 6 months.
It is not yet funded by the NHS- it is in stage 3 trials for NICE approval.
I have put links to the company and links to other topics on the site where this is discussed.
and I do not work for them or have any association with them -- just a T1 for 42 years and extremely interested in keeping my eyesight

www.noctura.com

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/green-light-for-retinopathy-treatment.67768/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/background-retinopathy.61270/#post-828705

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/retinopathy.64056/#post-817620
Hello, this is very interesting. Any idea how much is this please?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hi there
in the UK the mask costs £250 and lasts for exactly 12 weeks
here is the company website http://noctura.com/

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have just come across this thread for the first time - gosh, what a super-sounding piece of kit!

Although I have the beginnings of background retinopathy identified from a snap at the annual retinopathy screening appointment a couple of years ago I count myself fortunate that I don't have a problem with my eyes. But I'm glad to know there are there are options like this out there should it become a problem in the future.

Thanks @himtoo !