Non alcohol fatty liver disease

Colliegirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.type 2 how many folks have this condition got hospital appointment Friday is there anything they can do I am dieting and have lost 6 stone
Thanks

Reactions: Tophat1900

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your'e already super-doing it! Congrats on the epic weight loss - it's certainly going to help.

Good luck at your appointment: please update with how it goes?

Sock xx

lindisfel

Expert
Hi all.type 2 how many folks have this condition got hospital appointment Friday is there anything they can do I am dieting and have lost 6 stone
Thanks
Hi Colliegirl,
my GGT was over 140 and I have got it down to 45 by cutting refined carbs and fructose.
D.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it's a "disease" like alcoholic cirrhosis or hepatitis C. How they make the diagnosis, ultrasound? I doubt you had a liver biopsy right? Not sure you can do much about it, but congrats on losing the weight.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The liver is an amazing organ, it is the only organ that can 'recover' or regenerate if problems are addressed early enough.
NAFLD looks and behaves just like alcohol induced liver disease and can have the same outcome if left untreated. It is difficult atm for clinicians to differentiate between the two causes but the good thing is that diet can and does have an enormous bearing on the outcomes. Fructose is the major culprit in NAFLD but a high carb diet is also implicated. Another great thing is that cutting down/out on these two foodstuffs allows the liver to start shedding fat within days which imo is the first step to a healthier happier liver.
Well done on your progress so far, keep up the great work.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it is manifest by modest elevation in hepatic transaminases and diagnosed using a liver biopsy, like alcoholic liver disease? Of course viral hepatitis is manifest by hugely elevated transaminases and HepC is associated with its own serum markers.

Reactions: DavidK59