Non Diabetic Toddler With Fluctuating Bg Levels. What Can This Be?

newtonj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello there!
I've had Type 1 for 20 yrs
My non-diabetic toddler woke me the other morning asking for the juice on my bedside cab and glugged the whole lot down with trembling hands. I thought she seems hypo so I used my kit to test her and it was 2.9!?
I went downstairs and got her some sugary juice and a banana as my juice was sugar free...
Tested her 2 hrs later and her BG had gone up to 11.5??? I was rather shocked and so washed and dried her hands so definitely no sugar on them. Re-took the test and it was still 11.5

Did a few more tests that day and the only other one almost out of range was 7.2

I don't normally test her I promise! I've only ever tested her 3 times before but just had a bit of a shock that morning so followed it up.

Dr says it can't be diabetes because she was 2.9 1st thing in morning.

Can anybody enlighten me what it could be other than diabetes if her blood sugars fluctuate as much as this???

She does wee and drink a LOT so I am a bit suspicious...

Grateful if anyone knows what else can cause bloods to do this. Thanks!!

Worried mum
Xx

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
What had she eaten the previous evening, especially later on? Could this be reactive hypoglycemia? Calling @Brunneria for a more fully informed response in this respect.
Sally

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @newtonj :)

I have something called reactive hypoglycaemia - which is when carbs send me high, then i over produce my own insulin, which tips me into a hypo. However, I am reluctant to make any comment of your toddler’s situation, for several reasons.

Firstly, a one off hypo/hyper could happen to any of us, in the right circumstances, child or adult. Rare, but possible.
Secondly, children’s blood glucose is a mystery to me! Sorry to say.
So I am wary of saying anything that may simply be inappropriate for your situation.

All I can do is make a few suggestions:
If she shows the same symptoms again, and if you test her blood glucose, and if her blood glucose is too high, or too low, then get thee to a doctor, and ask for a referral to someone experienced in treating children with these issues.
In the meantime, please don’t worrit, or treat her any differently.

Glucose dysregulation in children can be a sign of all sorts of different things - and it certainly doesn’t automatically mean they are developing T1. I didn’t. :). And most cases of childhood reactive hypoglycaemia resolve themselves as the child grows.

Beyond that, I am afraid I simply don’t have the medical knowledge to comment.

Please let is know how things go though.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I understand that little ones run a lot lower than we adults, from an American site I was on, around 60-70mg/dl, which equates to the low 3s - so I don’t think it’s that out of the ordinary. Assuming she’s quite a little body, a banana and juice would be the equivalent of us having about five bananas and six pints of juice, so I’d expect a big spike.

Reactions: EllieM

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a condition that is distinct to childhood, which causes similar symptoms as reactive hypoglycaemia. It is quite common for children to live with lower blood glucose levels.
Make your GP aware of the episode, and usually, the child will grow out of having these episodes and symptoms.

Best wishes

Reactions: sally and james