non diabetic with hypolygcaemia

vanilla

Hi,

I am new to this board, and I hope you don't mind me coming on to post because I am not diabetic (or at least wasnt last time I was checked).

However, I am suffering a lot with low blood sugar. I'm not sure I officially have hypoglycaemia episodes because I havent measured my blood sugar. But I'm pretty sure it is a blood sugar issue, and I think you will agree. I get sudden (within 10 minutes) deterioration and go from feeling normalish to sweating, clammy, shaking, feeling faint, confusion, really hot, and feel like I will pass out. I have to sit down urgently and eat immediately, and it can take up to half an hour before I feel well again, although I start to recover a few minutes after eating.

I am 28, I have ME, and am obese, I have a BMI of 40 :oops: and I have been gaining weight steadily for the last year or so (due to poor mobility). I have put on 4 stone in the last few years and the hypoglycaemia is getting worse. I am trying to lose weight but am finding it really difficult because I have to eat every 2 hours or so. Sometimes I can catch myself beginning to overheat and can eat something quickly, other times I am ready to collapse within minutes.

my boyfriend advised me to always have dried fruit like dates and figs in my bag ready for blood sugar dips, because he has had to catch me and prop me up a number of times. He has got used to me having to sit down and snack up to every half hour at times. I thought that I needed to have a dried fruit then something like an oatcake for slower release energy. But the problem is, all this extra snacking is making me put on even more weight, the more weight I carry, the worse my hypoglycaemia, and the more I have to eat to keep going.

I recognise that this is a cycle I need to break out of, I need to stabilise my blood sugar and am thinking that dried fruit, while good when I am at the hypo stage, is probably also contributing to the next crash... how do I break the cycle and try to stabilise?

My meals are pretty good, muesli, milk, fruit juice for breakfast, beany salad and bread for lunch and meat, 3 veg and a carb for dinner. Its just the snacking that I'm worried about and of course also the hypos.

Although I dont think I have diabetes (yet) I am aware that my obesity is a huuuuge risk factor and the fact that my hypos are getting more severe the more weight I carry, worries me and I really want to try and get this under control and avoid becoming diabetic. And I need your help!!!

please please please help! I'd be soooo greatful to hear what you think.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you get a Blood sugar meter, you could find out for sure if it is that.
There is a condition called reactive hypoglycaemia. You should perhaps get checked out forthat

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
Have a look at this previous post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5649

Hope that helps :) When dealing with hypos though the best treatments are Lucozade or Dextrose tablets, which you can buy in most chemists. They are made from almost pure sugar, and remember to have some starch about 10 minutes after, such as a slice of bread, to prevent a repeat hypo.

Hope that helps

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
This may seem a bit "off the wall" but it might also be worth checking your blood pressure. The reason I mention this is that at one point when I was having difficulty with my BP medication, I absolutely could not tell the difference between low blood pressure and low blood sugar...

viv1969

kegstore said:
This may seem a bit "off the wall" but it might also be worth checking your blood pressure. The reason I mention this is that at one point when I was having difficulty with my BP medication, I absolutely could not tell the difference between low blood pressure and low blood sugar...

Yes definitely.....What kegstore says....100% agree.

markd

Are you on any medication - particularly for your heart?

I recently bumped into a friend of mine who is being treated for a host of heart and circulatory problems, but is definitely *not* diabetic.

Even so, he has hypo episodes that dip as low as 1.5 - astonishing, but that's what his meter says. He always has to have someone in attendance. He's had several hospital visits so far, but no signs of a diagnosis as yet.

You say you've had a negative diabetes test, when was it and what sort of test?

MarkD

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi vanilla.

Certainly sounds like you need some medical attention.

What concerns me about your post is that nowhere does it mention that you have sought medical advice for your condition ? You can ask for advice here but that is not going to remedy the situation.

My advice to you is to urgently see your GP and explain all the things you have mentioned. You say you think you are not a Diabetic - if that is so all the more reason to see your GP. Everybody here will try to help you, but what you need now is expert clinical help, not advice from forum members.
Please see your GP now.

Ken

vanilla

Hi all, thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to me. I went to my GP today and she is going to do a fasting glucose test to try and get to the bottom of the problem. i have also looked out my Blood monitor to see what my levels are when I experience symptoms. My blood pressure is fine.

Thankyou all so much for your help.

Trinkwasser

vanilla said:
Hi all, thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to me. I went to my GP today and she is going to do a fasting glucose test to try and get to the bottom of the problem. i have also looked out my Blood monitor to see what my levels are when I experience symptoms. My blood pressure is fine.

Thankyou all so much for your help.

With the constellation of symptoms you describe I'd insist she at least checks your thyroid (try to get the actual numbers as many doctors consider "OK" to cover numbers well outside of normal range) and try to get worked up for other endocrine conditions, if your thyroid or adrenals are playing up this can have a knock on effect to the rest of your endocrine system. In fact a referral to an actual endo might be a good plan.

Sometimes (like me) hypos can be "reactive" and the best way to deal with them is to reduce your carbs until your BG no longer spikes after eating, then you no longer get the rebound lows.

vanilla

thankyou Trinkwasser.

my GP is also going to check my thyroid function, as I am hypothyroid and on 175mcg Thyroxine. I forgot to mention that earlier.

I think you are right about the carbs... I seem to feel that if I can stabilise my blood sugar I am less likely to have lows... so I am cutting down on the simple carbs.

Trinkwasser

vanilla said:
thankyou Trinkwasser.

my GP is also going to check my thyroid function, as I am hypothyroid and on 175mcg Thyroxine. I forgot to mention that earlier.

I think you are right about the carbs... I seem to feel that if I can stabilise my blood sugar I am less likely to have lows... so I am cutting down on the simple carbs.

Good plan! It may well be that you are still undermedicated for your thyroid. May well be worth asking for your T3 and T4 levels if they will do the tests, some people have trouble with the conversion, for which a brazil nut or more a day (for selenium) and iodised salt may help. Otherwise if you can get it Armour rather than thyroxine.

Just some other things you could ask about, my fingers are crossed though that an increase in the thyroxine may get you back to normality. Small changes in the numbers can have spectacular results.