Non symptamatic hypos

jayy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Writing this as I am treating a hypo of 3.0 mmol/L (checked manually), after my dexcom luckily alarmed for a hypo. I had 3 hypos yesterday, and this is my second one today so I am slightly concerned but not sure if this is a big problem. It has been 15 minutes and my blood sugar has gone down a little, so I am still trying to get it to go up.

I seem to be having more hypos without feeling the usual symptoms (feeling shakey, light-headed, etc.) and it's worrying me a little bit as I can usually guess just before I have a hypo. Is this normal? should I mention this to my nurse next week to be safe?

I hadn't had a hypo for over a week until yesterday when I had 3, and thought I just had a bad day, but clearly today has been a little iffy too. I have been running generally lower than usual for both days too, but nothing that I have thought of as too strange.

I don't think my basal dose is too high, since I was okay before yesterday and my dose is very low anyway. I'm not sure if tonights hypo was caused by a dinner overestimation or if I was already low before eating even though my dexcom read as 4.3. I also feel okay in myself, other than a few stomach aches (but again nothing too out of the ordinary) so I'm not sure whether to be worried.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Hi @jayy I have lost hypo awareness in the past, usually because I had too many lows. This is one reason why spme hcps don't like it when T1s present with non diabetic hba1cs because they suspect too many lows...

In precgm days I found I needed to keep my hba1c above 50 to keep safe, but I stress this is just my own personal experience and everyone is different.

Now I have a cgm and pump I set my alert to 4.4 and try to fend off hypos.

When I lost awareness I regained by running a bit higher ( above 6 ) for a while but again I stress that this is mynpersonal experience only.

But maintaining hypo awareness is very important. In your position I'd talk to my team.

jayy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the advice! I think my hypos have been down to my hba1c being a bit lower as well, since a blood test 2 weeks ago told me it was 47, down from 97 at diagnosis.

I will definitely mention it to my nurse on Thursday!