'Normal' amount of hypos

Markham_K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just started to get my sugars under control... They've been quite high for a while so I've never had to worry about going hypo.

However, I've been able to get better control and the highest I will been for a month or two is 8.5

The past few weeks I will been having about a few hypos a week probably about 3...

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance x

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Markham_K Well done you're doing an amazing job to bring your levels down, however there really isn't an average for type 1's , I can have 5 one week then 2 the next, it depends on closely I monitor my levels, how much exercise I do and how accurately I can calculate my carbs. Ideally it would be perfect to not have any but as we know living with this it's impossible to avoid them. It does also depend on the severity of the hypo, generally my hypos are always above 3mmol/l, however I can hit minus 3 with vigorous exercise from time to time. Keep doing what your doing though as it's great progress ;)

James_Donnelly

Yeah that's normal. I used to get hypo's as often as you when I first got my sugars under control. Now not so often thankfully but there isn't really an average amount.

My bloods used to be around 5 and I found that I got more then than I do now when my average blood is probably closer to 7.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Markham_K . What are you classing as a hypo? A number on your meter? An episode where you are unable to function properly and have to eat emergency carbs and wait a period of time before resuming what you was doing? Or are we saying a hypo that requires help and assistance from a third party?

Reactions: azure

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started to get my sugars under control... They've been quite high for a while so I've never had to worry about going hypo.

However, I've been able to get better control and the highest I will been for a month or two is 8.5

The past few weeks I will been having about a few hypos a week probably about 3...

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance x

That's completely normal.
I've been told even someone with the best control will have two mild hypos a week.

I probably have about 3 a week too :)

Hope that helps.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance x

Well done with getting into a good range :)

I think it's fair to say that having a few hypos per week shouldn't be a concern, if you're talking about manageable hypos that you can treat yourself without blacking out, having a fit or requiring help from another person.

I probably have 3 or 4 low BG incidents per week (under 4.0 mmol) but I'm nowhere near the perfect T1D - If that helps you at all! :)

Take care.

Reactions: therower

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance x
3 isn't bad. For tight control you'll have some of that. Just try not to get down to 2. You'll get squirrelly then.

Reactions: Dodo

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I probably have 3 or 4 low BG incidents per week (under 4.0 mmol) but I'm nowhere near the perfect T1D - If that helps you at all!

That about sums me up too! It's very rare for my hypos to be below 3-3.3 except the other night when I woke up at 3am to a 2.9.

I would say that any hypo is of concern, and you should work out the whys and wherefores and learn from it though.

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read this with interest as I think that I probably have quite an irrational fear of lows. Not irrational in that they are dangerous but I am constantly worried about it and probably have my blood sugar levels too high? I feel good about 5 or 6, I recently overestimated insulin when I has exercised quite hard the night before and dropped to about 4. Felt ropey.

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read this with interest as I think that I probably have quite an irrational fear of lows. Not irrational in that they are dangerous but I am constantly worried about it and probably have my blood sugar levels too high? I feel good about 5 or 6, I recently overestimated insulin when I has exercised quite hard the night before and dropped to about 4. Felt ropey.
I'm aware of going low or if I might go low. Not sure if it's a fear for me, these days as it has happened frequently over 3 decades. I'm also happy in the 5s and 6s but can certainly feel anything in the low 4s and under

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm aware of going low or if I might go low. Not sure if it's a fear for me, these days as it has happened frequently over 3 decades. I'm also happy in the 5s and 6s but can certainly feel anything in the low 4s and under
If I'm pottering around or something like that I do start to feel the drop before I'm actually too low - I don't want to lose this sense to be honest. Since I've heard about non awareness of hypos it's yet another thing to worry about :/ I do test a lot and touch wood I avoid rather than treat. My greatest fear is exercise - when I am working hard I have sometimes not felt the same drop- I came out of a spinning class and was 3.5 but felt absolutely smashing? I think/hope that other functions are at play when exercising to release energy etc. I know there are risks of going low AFTER exercise. I just dread the thoughts of being out on run or something and having a really bad low.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I'm pottering around or something like that I do start to feel the drop before I'm actually too low - I don't want to lose this sense to be honest. Since I've heard about non awareness of hypos it's yet another thing to worry about :/ I do test a lot and touch wood I avoid rather than treat. My greatest fear is exercise - when I am working hard I have sometimes not felt the same drop- I came out of a spinning class and was 3.5 but felt absolutely smashing? I think/hope that other functions are at play when exercising to release energy etc. I know there are risks of going low AFTER exercise. I just dread the thoughts of being out on run or something and having a really bad low.

I hope never to lose that sense too. Previously, when poorly controlled, I would feel low in the 6s because my body was used to having high BG. Now better controlled, I feel I'm more aware of hypo and hyper BG at the right levels. Fingers crossed it stays that way! :)

I wonder if endorphins released during your spinning class might have masked your hypo "feel". I've had times when I'm totally fixed on the task in hand, felt the low, tested then found I'm 2.9 and not just creeping lower in the 4s. I do test a LOT now. About 15 times per day. :wideyed:

I think so long as you check before your run and after then you should minimise any hypo issues. Assuming you're not running for a long time and/or distance and you've been sensible with food and insulin beforehand (I'm sure you are).

Reactions: Bon83

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just been getting under control too.. finding it hard to stay in a tighter range and account for meals that are less carby.. I guess it's pretty normal.

I probably have at least 3 a week. Never been below ~2.5 though.
I've also noticed the issue of exercise 'masking' the feeling.

Have had some scary drops, like 15 to 5 in 2.5 hours, when not expecting it - but I guess I am always testing often if I take more insulin.

I'm actually far more scared of the long term effects of highs than a dangerous low... which is funny because in most of my life, including other medical issues, I have terrible long term planning/management.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Probably.

I had an appointment today, they thought I was trying too hard and we're not too happy about my number of hypos and that I hadn't contacted them.

I guess it looks terribly uncontrolled to them, but I'm still experimenting with foods and doses, and kind of expect to go a bit low until I know more about my body. (My "average" bgl is messed up too because I test 5x as often when below 4.5)

I'm sure a proper hypo would knock some fear into me, but I'm always testing if I raise my dose or get anywhere near low. Maybe showing them empty strip boxes will ease their concern...