'normal' bs but still getting headaches

sotonnewb

i was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries in Feb of this yr. glucose intolerance is a symptom of 'polycystic ovary syndrome' - its one of those 'syndroms' where diagnosis is quite tricky.... i dont have any other symptoms e.g. am not overweight or hirstute. my bp is fine and i exercise regularly. there is no family history of diabetes, but i have born in mind that i may have or develop glucose intolerance.

recently i have started having headaches after meals - even a bowl of branflakes! i also had reoccuring thrush (sorry if tmi!), been ridiculous thirsty and seem to get a hangover after just 1.5 glasses of wine (not the bottle size glasses ;) ) i have always had poor circulation in hands & feet so that is not necessarily related i guess.

I am travelling to papua new guinea for work in 2 weeks & would rather spot any problems before plonking myself in the middle of no where, where regular meals will be a problem.

so i just fasted overnight & popped into a local chemist for a quick blood glucose check. it was 5.6 (for some reason he put 5.4 on the form). he told me this is normal and from what i have read, this sounds like nothing to worry about. however, given the other symptoms is it worth going to my gp? or should i get a home testing kit & keep an eye on it, try another fast?

as someone with a mother with longterm illhealth i'm a bit paranoid about being paranoid!

thanks for reading & any advice.

Katharine

Post meal blood sugars are affected before fasting levels are. I'm not sure why you are getting headaches after meals. No one has ever said it to me before!

As you have polycystic ovaries and this means you are more likely to get type two diabetes and you have thrush and thirst and these odd headaches I do think it is worth seeing your GP before you jet off to the middle of the wilderness. You may benefit from either a glucose tolerance test or a fasting bs and hbaic. If the hbaic is below 5.8 and the fasting bs is normal you are unlikely to have diabetes.

sotonnewb

thanks katherine, i will have a chat with my gp, it's probably worth checking. i wasnt sure whether i should just trust the 1st fasting test i did.