Prediabetes Normal to Diabetes in days

jeanie99

I have know idea what as happened to my insulin levels.
Some years ago I had a result of Pre-diabetes, I tweaked my diet and have been normal for many years.

I had my bloods taken at the GPs this last week and the results are not good.

I have started now regularly taking my blood sugar level, mornings, before meals and after.

I had two granary slices of bread for breakfast with butter, blood sugar reading was over 9.Shocked.

Porridge with milk, nuts and a few grapes blood sugar 5.8 well pleased.

Porridge with milk nuts and a few grapes and an apple blood sugar over 8.

Fish no batter or crumbs, 6 oven chips mushy peas a very small meal but my blood sugar was over 10. shocked.

Roast chicken with steamed and roast veg 7.8 better but still higher which takes me into the pre diabetic again.

Bread, potatoes, sweet corn, parsnips white flour are foods I don't avoid completely but I eat rarely.

What is going on.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
two granary slices of bread
Carbs
Porridge with milk, nuts and a few grapes
Carbs
Porridge with milk nuts and a few grapes and an apple
Carbs
Fish no batter or crumbs, 6 oven chips mushy peas
Carbs
Roast chicken with steamed and roast veg
Fewer carbs

You are developing a carbohydrate allergy by continuing to consume them. This will likely worsen over time.
This is effectively what T2 diabetes is.

Cut back on the carbs and eat more meat, fish, eggs and dairy and your blood sugar levels should revert to normal.

Do you have your HbA1c numbers as in the UK individual finger prick tests aren't really used to diagnose.

Reactions: MrsA2

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have know idea what as happened to my insulin levels.
Some years ago I had a result of Pre-diabetes, I tweaked my diet and have been normal for many years.

I had my bloods taken at the GPs this last week and the results are not good.

I have started now regularly taking my blood sugar level, mornings, before meals and after.

I had two granary slices of bread for breakfast with butter, blood sugar reading was over 9.Shocked.

Porridge with milk, nuts and a few grapes blood sugar 5.8 well pleased.

Porridge with milk nuts and a few grapes and an apple blood sugar over 8.

Fish no batter or crumbs, 6 oven chips mushy peas a very small meal but my blood sugar was over 10. shocked.

Roast chicken with steamed and roast veg 7.8 better but still higher which takes me into the pre diabetic again.

Bread, potatoes, sweet corn, parsnips white flour are foods I don't avoid completely but I eat rarely.

What is going on.
How long after starting a meal do you take your blood sugar level?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dark horse has a point, technically speaking, but I think Bulkbiker highlights the heart of the matter: Jeanie is getting bad results because she's eating carbs. If she keeps eating so many carbs her situation will probably deteriorate. I'd personally disregard the semantics: whether it be intolerance, allergy, heebie-jeebies or bad juju, carbs are the problem. Avoid them and see what happens to your levels.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dark horse has a point, technically speaking, but I think Bulkbiker highlights the heart of the matter: Jeanie is getting bad results because she's eating carbs. If she keeps eating so many carbs her situation will probably deteriorate. I'd personally disregard the semantics: whether it be intolerance, allergy, heebie-jeebies or bad juju, carbs are the problem. Avoid them and see what happens to your levels.
The difference is that allergens trigger a bad response, it is not the allergen itself that is problem but the immune response. If carbs were an allergen then even tiny amounts would have an adverse effect. With carbs it is the quantity that is the problem, you need to cut down the amount to what you can cope with.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

what were the before meal figures for each experiment? It’s the difference between pre and post meal that determines if it is suitable or not. Without knowing how much it rose by we can’t say. Your starting levels could have been higher or lower and effected by sleep, stress etc

that’s still a lot of carbs for someone prediabetic.

what was your hba1c?

has anything else with your health/lifestyle/weight changed? Any new medications etc.