1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Nostalgia Game

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by SaskiaKC, Oct 2, 2021.

1. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Cat food, salmon, tuna fish ...
    Usually easy, but sometimes so hard to pull they hurt my fingers or break off, leaving me reaching for the can opener anyway ...

I used to have a hand can opener like yours, @Riva_Roxaban . Mine had a corkscrew too. We kept one for power outages.
    canopener.jpg

canopener.jpg I'm looking forward to seeing Star Trek posts too. One of my best friends is a Trekkie and I love TNG and some of DS9.

2. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That one had a corkscrew but it broke of somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrisbug

chrisbug Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I suddenly remembered I had these on a shelf in the garage, not necessarily vintage, more retro? Made in the mid 90s.
    Holding either will make you feel like part of the crew on a 5 year mission (or longer) immediately!
    Apologies for going a bit too modern, but the original TV show is a classic. 20211114_163202.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

@chrisbug Cool! I love those! Seeing your pic I was suddenly reminded of Christmas gift catalogues when I was a kid and saw pics like these:

gun.jpg

speeder.jpg
    I had 2 horses like this, White Mane and Speeder.

My next-door neighbor had one like this, called Popcorn:
    popcorn.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. chrisbug

I definitely had my share of guns growing up, we lived at the back of some woods and disused runway, and all the local kids would gather in the summer holidays for 'war games'.
    If you didn't have cap gun or spud gun, a cricket stump was allowed as a rifle, but you had to provide your own sound effects!
    Then we'd hear the ice cream chime and that was that, 20 kids with toy guns would descend on 'Mr Whippy'.

I don't recall owning a broom stick horse, me and my brother definitely used actual brooms, which did the trick.

6. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I love the idea of a cricket-stump rifle! What is a spud gun? We had cap pistols when I was little -- even more fun than yelling "Bang! Bang!"
    Most of my childhood horses were invisible; we had whole stables full of them in our back yards, but we built real jumps for our "horse" shows and trail rides.

7. chrisbug

I never realized how dangerous /daft it sounds, after pea-shooters we moved up to spud guns.
    Which as I recall, you pressed the end of the gun into a potato, the piece of 'spud' goes into the barrel, and when the gun is fired the bit of 'spud' shoots out.
    To avoid getting hurt by being shot at, you just had to increase the distance away from the person shooting at you.
    Very close range, I'm sure I remember they could hurt. Not sure if they ever caused serious injury?
    It hard to believe these things were sold to children!

It's bad enough now, when you get a 'nerf dart' in the head unannounced by one of the kids who finds it highly entertaining!

I'm sure someone, somewhere came up with other vegetable projectiles, maybe a homemade 'sprout lancher'?

8. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

At full gallop on your broomstick horse, I presume! :D
    I like the idea of a sprout launcher -- but talk about pain ... ! :wideyed:

I think cricket stumps might have made good cross rails for invisible-horse show jumps -- maybe laid across the tops of the croquet mallets I once used as uprights.

Meanwhile, talking of violent toys ... I don't recall a single peaceful human figure in any set!

vintage-lot-aurora-plastic-indians_1_565867f82a91076a69bd72c0b0d2928c.jpg
    Or maybe they were all attacking the giant figure who somehow got mixed up with this lot!

9. chrisbug

This reminds me of the Stag game 'toy soldiers'

To begin you need a bag of toy soldiers.
    Each person on the stag do, pulls out a soldier at random. That is now his pose. Between pubs or at any random moment, the best man shouts the command: "Assume the position!" and the life-size toy soldiers (stags) must hold the pose of their mini soldier.
    It obviously comes with forfeits and penalties, I know of a wedding that the game continued on the wedding day.
    Look out if you forgot to bring your toy soldier for inspection!
    Kind of like a grown up musical statues.

My 8 yo son has my old toy soldiers, which he will spend hours arranging them, just to knock them all flying in a bizarre domino topple involving hot wheels track and cars, dominoes and the staircase.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

I was so happy to find, a couple of weeks ago, nice stick horses for sale at the local tack shop. I bought one for Toys for Tots, which is a program the Marines have had for ages, where stores have big bins for donations of new, unwrapped toys.

I thought I had a picture of it but it seems to have been deleted. He looks like this one:

stickhorse21.jpeg
    One of the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten was the Zorro fort I got when I was 4. It looked like this:

zorro gate and walls.jpg

11. chrisbug

That Zorro fort looks great! I used to love a toy that would inspire endless games, which I'm certain the Zorro Fort would have done.
    Action Man was the one that did it for me, I inherited a bunch of Action Man gear from my uncle, and combined with mine and my brothers Action Men, the adventures these guys had!
    My mate had a frogman that went in the bath with him, the rubber diving suit was the only thing that eventually held him together, all of his joints had completely rotted out!
    I also had the action man single that had battle sounds on the b-side.

The toys for tots thing sounds great, in the UK local radio stations sometimes have a drive like this. And my kids schools used to do a similar donation thing, but Covid has put a stop to that. action-man-navy-frogman-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Action Man looks great! Your adventures sound like as much fun as mine and my friends' with our model horses. This is a typical family:

breyer1.jpg

My collection began with one like this:

breyer2.jpeg

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook