Nostalgia Game

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been looking at pics of old telephones. Post a pic of a gadget, tool, appliance, car, toy -- one of your favorites from your own "olden times" -- and the decade if you remember :).
My cousins had a phone like this one in the '60s:

ericafone.jpeg

Reactions: Smiler99

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
During lockdown we discovered that the phone in the hall had stopped working, I took on the task of finding a replacement...
(much to my wifes annoyance I did a lot of research and solved the issue)
The red GPO 706L (1959-1967) is amazing, it sounds awesome when it rings, when I grew up I only really remember the later GPO 746 and then to be replaced by the trim phones.
Turns out there was nothing wrong with our original phone, problem with the connection at the pole top!
20211004_181923.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice phone! We had a red wall phone in the kitchen in the '60s; it looked something like this one:

redphone.jpeg

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Nice! if only I'd had something vaguely similar to the bat phone as a kid, my parents favoured beiges and browns!
The only reason I know a lot about old phones is down to my research and correspondence with the guy who restores the antique phones.
I will post images of some of my other "collectables" in time...

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will look forward to it.

Meanwhile ...

A 1940s "portable" radio like my mother's, complete with battery connection. In my childhood it lived on our kitchen counter, where it played hymns on Sunday mornings.

radio1.jpg radio2.jpg

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
One of my favourite Christmas presents I got in 1988 which I still have

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211006-075059_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211006-075059_Samsung Internet.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 137

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
So, here is my Denys Fisher TARDIS, from the 70s.
The one I owned was handed down to my cousins:( and I acquired this one on ebay
I also still had the Tom Baker figure from my childhood that you place inside, turn the spinner and he disappears. I honestly thought he went back to the factory the first few times I played with this (as a child I might add).
I let the Tom Baker figure go to a collector a while back as he was missing a shoe, his hat and his scarf (the figure, not the collector!).
This is one of many Dr. Who 'collectables' old and newish discreeted around the house.
20211015_184047.jpg

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
And here is K9, made by Palitoy ('78?) Again all my original toys were passed down, so this beauty came to me about 10 years ago.
And he talks! There is a small plastic record in his inards that plays different commands. And if you turn the record over, you get another set of commands.
20211015_184602.jpg
20211015_184441.jpg

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
The last Dr Who post? A selection of my Daleks, my favorites are the red and silver that were mine and my brothers, I still have the original boxes! They are also made by Palitoy and have a plastic record inside that plays an order when that a full size Dalek for my 50th would be a good project, and it would fit nicely on my side of the bedroom!
20211015_184724.jpg
20211020_191917.jpg

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Should have said this previously:

The last Dr Who post? A selection of my Daleks, my favorites are the red and silver that were mine and my brothers, I still have the original boxes! They are also made by Palitoy and have a plastic record inside that plays an order when THE BUTTON ON TOP IS PRESSED. I'M TRYING TO CONVINCE MY WIFE that a full size Dalek for my 50th would be a good project, and it would fit nicely on my side of the bedroom!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What intrigues me about the old dial phones is that the emergency number 999 probably took the longest to dial... Surely it should have been 111.....

I agree! Here in the US we dial 911 which a bit quicker, but only just.

I can't believe this site hasn't been notifying me about all your posts., @chrisbug. I love the Tardis and K9 and the Daleks. Tom Baker was my favorite of the Doctors.

My niece is now 50 and when she was about 10 she did not know what this was:

object.jpg

Reactions: Max68 and chrisbug

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
40 years ago I knew some kids who saw one of these on my kitchen wall and did not know what it was.

wall.jpg

Reactions: chrisbug

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have had this stabbit tin opener for about 40 years in the family camping box, my parents aquired it from some friends of theirs on a fishing trip who had it for years. It belonged to the friends mother who had it for years.

The spoon has been in the family as part of a set it's about 50 years old, it's had plenty of use as the tip has worn away it used to pointy shaped.

The tin opener has a groove worn into by use as we, it does clean up good.

B4sd3iu.jpg

SYkwyap.jpg

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
What intrigues me about the old dial phones is that the emergency number 999 probably took the longest to dial... Surely it should have been 111.....
According to go-ogle:

It was decided an end number would be best as it would be easier to find by touch in the dark or smoke.
111 was rejected as it could be triggered by faulty equipment or lines rubbing together, and mimicked by tapping the cradle creating the pulse tone.
000 could not be used as the first 0 would have dialed the operator.
999 was deemed the sensible choice.
The system came into place on 1st July 1937.
Other theories are available...

Reactions: Max68 and SaskiaKC

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
We have had this stabbit tin opener for about 40 years in the family camping box, my parents aquired it from some friends of theirs on a fishing trip who had it for years. It belonged to the friends mother who had it for years.

The spoon has been in the family as part of a set it's about 50 years old, it's had plenty of use as the tip has worn away it used to pointy shaped.

The tin opener has a groove worn into by use as we, it does clean up good.

B4sd3iu.jpg

SYkwyap.jpg
I remember always seeing these tin openers in my grandparents kitchen drawers, but they were never used. I think they kept them as an emergency backup incase the then modern turny one stopped working!
I never saw it used in anger and I held anybody who knew how to operate it in high regard.
It's great that you have still got it.
Our tin opener now has an incredible effect on Milo, our tabby, as soon as he hears it clunk shut around a tin he bombs through the house expecting his share of tuna!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm a trekkie (unfortunately!) And of course my shelves, walls and ceilings are full of memorabilia, books, models, videos, DVD, chess set, and some other stuff that are quite wonderful.
Photos may follow.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
I'm a trekkie (unfortunately!) And of course my shelves, walls and ceilings are full of memorabilia, books, models, videos, DVD, chess set, and some other stuff that are quite wonderful.
Photos may follow.
There is nothing wrong with being a trekkie.
Looking forward to seeing pics.
20211015_185753.jpg
20211113_163116.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our tin opener now has an incredible effect on Milo, our tabby, as soon as he hears it clunk shut around a tin he bombs through the house expecting his share of tuna!
I think electric tin openers are going to be phased out, as there are a lot tinned stuff coming out with rip top lids on the can. Tomatoes, small tins of baked beans, one of the brands of tinned soups have them to name a few.