1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Not being able to stay awake

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by djw88, May 10, 2016.

1. djw88

djw88 · Member

As with my other post i cant sleep, im falling asleep at work. What do you do to stay awake during the day/get a better nights sleep?

2. Cloudlesssky

Cloudlesssky Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    Are you willing to share what your daily readings are? It might help us to make suggestions which may help.

3. Just Jeff

Just Jeff Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had similar problems. I would get to 2pm and crash like a computer shutting down.

I made some changes to my diet and reduced my carb intake at lunch time,
    I would always be 4.8 to 5.5 before lunch, but what I was eating would spike my sugar to high 8 to 9.
    As I'm diet controlled and have a desk bound job, this was enough to trigger the sleepy bug.

So I reduced my gluten intake and cut out crisps of any description.
    So a nice salad, with salmon, or egg.
    Followed by a bag of popcorn, washed down with a peppermint tea (to aid digestion) instead of diet coke.
    In the evening to help me sleep at night @ 9pm I stop drinking tea or coffee and have camomile tea. By 11pm it's as much as I can do to keep my eyes open.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using DCUK Forum mobile app

4. Sean01

Sean01 · Guest

I used to fall asleep at work - too much of the wrong food followed by a blood sugar spike and then a crash. Worst case was a revision day for a professional exam. First half of the morning - excellent. Come exam day - model answer!. Second half of the day - a sandwich, a satsuma and a banana - I remembered nothing about the afternoon revision course and this only became apparent when I saw the second question on the exam day. ( I passed - but mainly thanks to an excellent fist question.)

Since being diagnosed T2 (Oct 15) I'm awake in the day and I sleep at night. I still need coffee/black tea and will even drink a black tea at around 8 p.m. but it relaxes me and helps me sleep. (being in the gym just after 4:55 every morning probably helps too.)

As for getting a good night's sleep - what really works for me exhaustion after a long day, and rubbish on tv. Nothing send me off quicker than a tv screen - no matter what is on.

5. mfactor

mfactor Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have suffered from sleep problems for years, and have found that not having to get up a silly o'clock in the morning has really helped, as it was that horrid circle of not getting off , looking at clock, worrying cause I had to get up and this causing me to not get off etc etc, have had some nights in the past with zero sleep.........:banghead:

One of the best bits of advice I found was not to fight it if you cant sleep but get up read a book bake a cake etc.

Apparently this was the way we slept up until fairly recently ( industrial revolution) the trouble with than is its not much help if you have to be up at 5 , you are still going to be sleep deprived............:)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook