Not diabetic anymore??? Confused as heck :(

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How can you hypo, when your not on meds?
If you reduce your hba1c then you should be at normal levels!
Yes sulfonylureas are the next line in treatment

You can't. The doctor was talking rubbish. Don't think you would on metformin either unless combined with sulfonylureas. The treatment guidelines should be tailored to the needs of the individual patient. The aim should be to normalize BG as far as possible. Non-diabetics do not have hypos or heart attacks when their A1c falls below the seemingly mystical 6.5 figure. The doctor became quite flustered when he was sat in front of me saying things he couldn't have believed himself, and trying to defend the indefensible. It does seem that sulfonylureas may be quite dangerous since they increase weight, cause hypos, increased risk of heart attacks, and accelerate the burn out of beta cells. Seems like more of a last resort than a second line treatment to me. So, we have the situation where the NHS will not fund treatment to ensure strict BG control, as far as it is possible, due to cost; but they will arrange for your leg to be amputated as a result of inadequate treatment. And, the cherry on the top, is that that will be absolutely free of charge.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• tmp_12028-PIIS2213858715002880-468432379.pdf
    43 KB · Views: 393
Reactions: 2 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How can you hypo, when your on meds [//QUOTE]

Ah, nearly forgot the best part. My BP has fallen following weight loss since diagnosis, so he wants me to monitor it and take readings every day to check on the treatment. At the same time, I am NOT to monitor my BG levels because that doesn't serve any purpose. Actually it would. I would reveal that any idea of care being provided for this condition is a sham.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You can't. The doctor was talking rubbish. Don't think you would on metformin either unless combined with sulfonylureas. The treatment guidelines should be tailored to the needs of the individual patient. The aim should be to normalize BG as far as possible. Non-diabetics do not have hypos or heart attacks when their A1c falls below the seemingly mystical 6.5 figure. The doctor became quite flustered when he was sat in front of me saying things he couldn't have believed himself, and trying to defend the indefensible. It does seem that sulfonylureas may be quite dangerous since they increase weight, cause hypos, increased risk of heart attacks, and accelerate the burn out of beta cells. Seems like more of a last resort than a second line treatment to me. So, we have the situation where the NHS will not fund treatment to ensure strict BG control, as far as it is possible, due to cost; but they will arrange for your leg to be amputated as a result of inadequate treatment. And, the cherry on the top, is that that will be absolutely free of charge.
[/QUOTE]
Apparently it is possible to have hypos on metformin alone. But you're right, the doctor was talking rubbish. Getting one's HbA1c below 6.5% is cause for celebration, not a risk to one's health.

Reactions: 4 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently it is possible to have hypos on metformin alone. [/QUOTE]
I see. Thanks. It is certainly a bit like working hard to improve your situation, and then someone comes along and kicks your crutch away. So dispiriting.

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
Her statement that I am NOT diabetic was based on the fact my new HbA1c was 5.7.....only achieved by eating as a diabetic and very low carb :rolleyes: but try as I might I couldn't make her understand that fact. She said go eat some cake and enjoy it :banghead::banghead: So glad that you get better support. Thank you for my gold star :D
One of many things that's confusing me is that I was diagnosed as T2 when my HbA1c was 5.7!! How can you be told that you are NOT diabetic at the same reading??????

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of many things that's confusing me is that I was diagnosed as T2 when my HbA1c was 5.7!! How can you be told that you are NOT diabetic at the same reading??????
Omg you're kidding???? Type 2 diabetic lowest reading for diagnosis is 6.5 as far as I know so no idea how you could be diagnosed with an HbA1c that low???? I would certainly ask for an explanation or at least ask the question here on the forum as I could be wrong. Look on the NHS site and it says 6.5...so does NICE guidelines.....totally confused

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
Omg you're kidding???? Type 2 diabetic lowest reading for diagnosis is 6.5 as far as I know so no idea how you could be diagnosed with an HbA1c that low???? I would certainly ask for an explanation or at least ask the question here on the forum as I could be wrong. Look on the NHS site and it says 6.5...so does NICE guidelines.....totally confused
I was fine for the first two and a half years with 'perfect control' ( started on metformin after a year) but when I went for a pre assessment to have a knee replacement, I was told I couldn't have the op as my diabetes was out of control with a HbA1c of 83!!! I have now got it down to 49 with my meds increased to 4x Gliclazide, 1x Sitagliptin and 2x 1000mg Metformin slow release. I now have quite regular hypo's, usually due to leaving it too long before eating. It's hard to eat so often when trying to lose weight! Still waiting for a date for my knee replacement.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was fine for the first two and a half years with 'perfect control' ( started on metformin after a year) but when I went for a pre assessment to have a knee replacement, I was told I couldn't have the op as my diabetes was out of control with a HbA1c of 83!!! I have now got it down to 49 with my meds increased to 4x Gliclazide, 1x Sitagliptin and 2x 1000mg Metformin slow release. I now have quite regular hypo's, usually due to leaving it too long before eating. It's hard to eat so often when trying to lose weight! Still waiting for a date for my knee replacement.
When do you have your hypos? It seems that it is your meds doing it!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, no wonder she's having hypos!!
That amount of medication would give most of us hypos!!!!!...seems total madness to me but hey...the NHS gets it right pffff smh....I would definately be questioning it

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Thank you....I am proud of myself and wouldn't have achieved it without the wonderful people here. I refuse to stop testing and eat carbs. The NHS has a lot to answer for and needs to open its eyes to what CAN be done if the right advice is given. To get that advice I will come HERE and give the NHS a hearty 2 fingered salute for their incompetence
Absolutely right......you are a well controlled diabetic, sadly not cured unless your levels still stay the same once you revert to a normal diet......but well done on your control and success

Reactions: 6 people

Al44

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When it goes too high? Maybe it won't go so high that you will need meds? I used to think diabetes was progressive, but the more I read about people's stories here, the more I think maybe it isn't? So I now say things like "if" I need more meds, or insulin, one day.

May I suggest diabetes IS progressive usually, IF you don't reduce your intake of carbs?
Following the usual conventional carb diet promoted by many GP & their diabetes nurses will likely result in progressive diabetes.
We are all different, there are no certainties or guarantees, but if you do cut down carbs the diabetes may not progress, may go into remission, may even 'reverse'.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
May I suggest diabetes IS progressive usually, IF you don't reduce your intake of carbs?
Following the usual conventional carb diet promoted by many GP & their diabetes nurses will likely result in progressive diabetes.
We are all different, there are no certainties or guarantees, but if you do cut down carbs the diabetes may not progress, may go into remission, may even 'reverse'.
Yes, that's what I was saying, perhaps not clearly enough. Mine has gone into remission.

Reactions: 8 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, that's what I was saying, perhaps not clearly enough. Mine has gone into remission.
Mine isn't going to progress anywhere if I have anything to do with it. If I follow the recent advice to go back to eating carbs as my nurse instructed then I would be on the road to meds and complications.....so no thanks nurse....as I told her....I will take care of my diet myself. .....and when asked if I wanted to speak to a dietician I replied no thank you....she probably talks out her backside as well :)

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
When do you have your hypos? It seems that it is your meds doing it!
I'm not so sure that it is my meds causing my hypo's. They tend to happen between breakfast and lunch. I sometimes get too engrossed in what I'm doing and don't realise the time! I have always been an 'eat when you're hungry' person rather than eat coz it's mealtime! I always used to get terrible migraines if I went more than 4-5 hours without food before being diagnosed as T2. I don't get the migraines anymore but do get a terrible case of the 'wobbles & head all over the place' with a hypo. I seem to get the signs when my BG is about 3.7 or less. Have had 3.7 twice and a 3.4 in the last three days (3.4 at lunchtime today). Yet, late last night (11pm) we had KFC and when I went to bed at 1am my BG was 4.5!!! I can't make any sense out of it!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm not so sure that it is my meds causing my hypo's. They tend to happen between breakfast and lunch. I sometimes get too engrossed in what I'm doing and don't realise the time! I have always been an 'eat when you're hungry' person rather than eat coz it's mealtime! I always used to get terrible migraines if I went more than 4-5 hours without food before being diagnosed as T2. I don't get the migraines anymore but do get a terrible case of the 'wobbles & head all over the place' with a hypo. I seem to get the signs when my BG is about 3.7 or less. Have had 3.7 twice and a 3.4 in the last three days (3.4 at lunchtime today). Yet, late last night (11pm) we had KFC and when I went to bed at 1am my BG was 4.5!!! I can't make any sense out of it!!
What are you eating for breakfast?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Could I ask you to take your blood glucose levels before and every half hour after breakfast just to see what happens.
1 slice of wholemeal toast with a scrape of Marmite. I also have a cup of green tea - no sugar.

When do you take your meds? Do you have milk in your tea?

If you are definitely T2, then I believe it is the meds!

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
Could I ask you to take your blood glucose levels before and every half hour after breakfast just to see what happens.

When do you take your meds? Do you have milk in your tea?

If you are definitely T2, then I believe it is the meds!
No I don't have milk in my tea (can't stand the stuff). I take my meds after my breakfast (usually about half an hour after) and in the evening after dinner. We don't eat at set times, but my second lot is usually about 12-13 hours after the breakfast dose. I am also taking 2x Paracetamol 4 times a day, 2x Tramadol 4 times a day, 1x Lansoprasol per day, 2x Propranolol per day, 1x 50mg Amitriptyline at night, 1x atorvastatin per day, 1x Losartan per day,1x atenalol per day. I have had the lower part of my spine pinned together and have had my left knee replaced, but am still in pain if I don't take my daily cocktail of pills. I have nerve damage from the spine condition which has caused me to have neuropathy in my feet !! I've had this way before I became T2. The pain is dreadful, but would be a lot worse without my pills. I have asked my GP if there is anything different I could take for the neuropathy pain, but she said they would look into that after I have my Right knee replacement (which I have now been waiting over a year for) which will, hopefully, be done within the next 6-8 weeks!
Nosher8355, yes I will take my BG's as you ask. I take a reading before breakfast anyway, which can be anything from 7.0 down to 4.2.