Not diabetic anymore??? Confused as heck :(

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Good luck with the scan ..let us know how you get on

Reactions: 2 people

Lancelot J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower, Broccoli. And loud, ignorant opinionated people.
Folks! Can we take a step back here. Diabetes is diagnosed as a result of a HBA1C. Over 6 and you are labeled "diabetic"! That's it!
It's medical culture.
I'm in the same boat as many of you. Four successive 3 monthly blood tests have come back below 6 so technically I'm not diabetic any longer!
HOWEVER I got those results through loosing weight, watching what I eat and exercising more.
Looking through the entire forum, I'm firmly of the opinion that what we know as "T2 Diabetes" - high blood glucose is a symptom of some other condition BUT with so many organs involved (& now gut bacteria) and so many different 'types' of people, there is no definitive cause, cure or quick fix.
BUT we can say for sure that a low carb diet moderates the high BG symptom (and that's what we should all be aiming for).
Now, if diabetes cannot be cured, only managed then the blood tests stop being diagnostic and become a Performance Indicator of your overall management strategy.
All that said, even though I haven't been "diabetic" for over a year, I not going to take the chance. I'm going to continue with my low carb (but not restrictive) diet and exercise.
I've found there is a difference between "Living with diabetes" and "LIVING!!!! with diabetes!"
How you handle the rest of your life is in your hands. And only your hands.

Reactions: 26 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Folks! Can we take a step back here. Diabetes is diagnosed as a result of a HBA1C. Over 6 and you are labeled "diabetic"! That's it!
It's medical culture.
I'm in the same boat as many of you. Four successive 3 monthly blood tests have come back below 6 so technically I'm not diabetic any longer!
HOWEVER I got those results through loosing weight, watching what I eat and exercising more.
Looking through the entire forum, I'm firmly of the opinion that what we know as "T2 Diabetes" - high blood glucose is a symptom of some other condition BUT with so many organs involved (& now gut bacteria) and so many different 'types' of people, there is no definitive cause, cure or quick fix.
BUT we can say for sure that a low carb diet moderates the high BG symptom (and that's what we should all be aiming for).
Now, if diabetes cannot be cured, only managed then the blood tests stop being diagnostic and become a Performance Indicator of your overall management strategy.
All that said, even though I haven't been "diabetic" for over a year, I not going to take the chance. I'm going to continue with my low carb (but not restrictive) diet and exercise.
I've found there is a difference between "Living with diabetes" and "LIVING!!!! with diabetes!"
How you handle the rest of your life is in your hands. And only your hands.

It's 6.5 not 6. But a standing ovation for everything else you've said!

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's medical culture.

Nope. Not as clear cut as that.

I was diagnosed on 2 fasting blood glucose tests over 7mmol/l
My HbA1c has never been above 6.5 (because I have been using diet to prevent high bg for years) yet I am clearly diabetic. A controlled diabetic. Certainly not 'reversed' or any other trendy word that people are using. A sandwich and a scone send me to 15mmol/l and I don't drop to the 6s for 5 hours. That is diabetic in anyone's book.

Reactions: 15 people

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I entirely agree with this. I have stayed in the"non diabetic" numbers for 10 years after being on a low carb/low GI + exercise regime. I do not consider I am reversed because if I ate like everyone else I would be diabetic as my numbers would go right up. It is wrong to think of it as "reversed" and correct to call it "Controlled"

Reactions: 11 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I entirely agree with this. I have stayed in the"non diabetic" numbers for 10 years after being on a low carb/low GI + exercise regime. I do not consider I am reversed because if I ate like everyone else I would be diabetic as my numbers would go right up. It is wrong to think of it as "reversed" and correct to call it "Controlled"
Agree totally.....According to my gp the fact I had an hba1c of 6.5 does NOT mean I am diabetic. The fact I got it down to non diabetic numbers does NOT mean I have it under control......Apparently I just have a high risk of developing diabetes (probably if I follow the nurses advice and return to eating loads of carbs as I am ''not diabetic'' )....hence the confusion lol But I eat low carb and will continue to do so.....6.5 is a good enough warning however they interpret it and as diabetes runs heavily in my family I don't need any further warning. Low carb is my mantra now regardless of any gps opinions

Reactions: 7 people

Greebo013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spam. The word 'diet'.
My original GP said my BL was up a little - 'slightly high so stop eating anything with salt, sugar or fat or you'll get very sick and die.' -his exact words.
Moved house - new GP - 'your sugar is high, there's no grey area, you are or you aren't. You are. You will always be, it doesn't go away but you and I can control it.' - I almost hugged her!
It took a year or so but I know what I can eat and what I can't, I still get ups and downs but not severely and it's usually because of what I have or haven't done that day.
I don't take statins, my cholesterol is a little high, primarily given as a kidney safeguard but the side effects were unacceptable.
Where my thyroid goes, my diabetes is sure to follow so I have to recognise when that's off too, there's no daily meter for it.
Learning about yourself is a key point, a journal can help- time, food (including meal plans), exercise, mood etc., even just up and down the stairs with laundry, note any interesting bits of info you find too - it's surprising what you find out about yourself, even after a week.

Reactions: 11 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Porridge is fine for lots of people though! Everyone is different. Which is a tricky thing to provide advice on as a gp!

Porridge is fine for some people, yes. Not fine for others and maybe over time, some of the people starting off being able to eat porridge, won't be able to manage it later. Everyone is different, which is why the NHS and GPs shouldn't give out one size fits all advice. They should be telling patients 'Your Mileage May Vary'.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there are too many semantics re- cured, reversed, I prefer remission

I had my prostate removed, due to advanced prostate cancer, five years ago

Even now after five years of negative blood tests, my oncologist, will only say, that I am in remission.

I asked him, whether I had been cured, or not, he smiled and said,

"If I say you have been cured and the cancer re-occcurs, then you could sue me, because I told you it was cured.

If I say remission, then I am leaving all my options open"

At least he was being honest................

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge is fine for some people, yes. Not fine for others and maybe over time, some of the people starting off being able to eat porridge, won't be able to manage it later. Everyone is different, which is why the NHS and GPs shouldn't give out one size fits all advice. They should be telling patients 'Your Mileage May Vary'.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I agree. But one size fits all advice is easy to dish out. The majority of the population won't engage with diabetes like people on the forum do so they best advice of eat to your meter won't work. Giving advice that isn't the best but will have the biggest overall improvement on the population as a whole seems to the if not then be approach the least worst.

Sorry. Off topic!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree that diabetes isnt able to be reversed or cured. To me it is in remission and if I go back to old habits it will be back in no time. I think its very ironic and confusing that one of the books that is plugged the most is "Reverse Your Diabetes" and while I understand it is a great book it does give people the wrong idea.

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree that diabetes isnt able to be reversed or cured. To me it is in remission and if I go back to old habits it will be back in no time. I think its very ironic and confusing that one of the books that is plugged the most is "Reverse Your Diabetes" and while I understand it is a great book it does give people the wrong idea.

I like the use of 'remission' - and people understand it because it's what we're used to hearing in the context of cancers. Almost as soon as I was diagnosed and read David Cavan's book, I asked my diabetic nurse what would happen if I got my blood glucose levels down to normal - would I drop off the NHS radar, etc. Being told I'd be back to years more of an annual test - which is what I had for around 10 years pre-diagnosis - wasn't wildly encouraging. After years and years of that, I'm well aware of how hard it can be to keep any focus on it at all.

Reactions: 2 people

DOBSONP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In my own personal experience sadly no. My gp constantly makes light of any illness. All of the nurses have left the practice leaving just one very overweight lady who eats chocolate the whole time you are in with her. I have lost faith in the whole set up and may have to find a new doctor because as you say there will be a time when I have to go.
Can't you change your GP practice? This one is awful but there are good ones and you deserve better.

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you...I am making too many red blood cells it seems and too much iron in my blood. Good luck with your tests...am sure you will get a great result too :)
Hi Gezzabelle, my name's Alan and I became diabetic when I had a kidney transplant in December '98, and the resulting steroid damage to my pancreas. However it would seem that after 14yrs my pancreas has decided to function again!! My morning BM is between 4.5 to 7 mmols and I check it 3 - 4 times day at present with my BM going no higher than 11mmols, in wich case I give myself 3 units of Lantus to assist my own insulin. I read with interest your sorry tale about your experience with the practice nurse and suggest you find someone more qualified as she doesn't know what she is talking about! If neccessary I would suggest you change your surgery.

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Gezzabelle, my name's Alan and I became diabetic when I had a kidney transplant in December '98, and the resulting steroid damage to my pancreas. However it would seem that after 14yrs my pancreas has decided to function again!! My morning BM is between 4.5 to 7 mmols and I check it 3 - 4 times day at present with my BM going no higher than 11mmols, in wich case I give myself 3 units of Lantus to assist my own insulin. I read with interest your sorry tale about your experience with the practice nurse and suggest you find someone more qualified as she doesn't know what she is talking about! If neccessary I would suggest you change your surgery.
Further to my last communique FYI my last blood results as of 2 weeks ago. Hba1c 4.9, hb 12, liver normal, ferritin 154, cholestrol 5, urea normal, albumin normal. Since leaving the kidney ward here in Plymouth, Devon where I was treated for a blocked pd line. I am now home and recuperating nicely. I now eat a more healthy diet. Eat sugary foods as little as possible, moderate carbs (but not to much) and plenty of fruit and veg. I also try to follow the Mediteranean diet and have been trying some of Gino de A'Campo's recipies. which I highly recommend to anyone.

arrangranny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you and well done. You have confirmed my view of what I will be doing as a newbie T2. I was not given the option of even trying diet and exercise but fought for it. I got my own BG meter and began a low carb diet. As my levels were high I thought it would be sensible to take the Metformin until my bg stabilised. Basically I lost Christmas- the first time my family has been together for years- due to severe stomach cramps diarrhea etc. Now I have a cross trainer I can use regularly and any spare few minutes. I've investigated so much about low carbs / metformin. I am determined to make diet and exercise work ! So, thank you. Well done in your achievements - they are an inspiration for mine to come

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
I had a very similar thing happen - doctor this time - I went to her about HRT, I reminded her that I was diabetic and that I controlled it with diet and exercise alone, no meds, she looked at my last HbA1C result of 6.2 and said "Oh well you are hardly diabetic at all"!! I wouldn't mind but they were the ones that said I was in the first place!! It's quite incredible that even some doctors have very little understanding of the condition - it's frightening. If I didn't control tightly what I eat I'd be cruising at between 9 and 13 on the Richter Scale (well you know what I mean) and then they'd tell me that I eas diabetic .... seems a sort of chicken and egg situation going on!

I guess that a GP can't be an expert in everything, but frankly the Diabetes Nurse at the practice knows more than this doctor, and although I don't wish to brag ... I think I know more than the doctor if you take her comment into account!!

I think we have a duty to ourselves to gen up on our disease because I fear we may not be getting correct information a lot of the time from the surgeries.

Here's to self-help!

And many congratulations on your success at lowering your reading by such a lot and ending up "not diabetic" (!), you are a shining example to us all.

Reactions: 7 people

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
Nope. Not as clear cut as that.

I was diagnosed on 2 fasting blood glucose tests over 7mmol/l
My HbA1c has never been above 6.5 (because I have been using diet to prevent high bg for years) yet I am clearly diabetic. A controlled diabetic. Certainly not 'reversed' or any other trendy word that people are using. A sandwich and a scone send me to 15mmol/l and I don't drop to the 6s for 5 hours. That is diabetic in anyone's book.

This is exactly the same as me! Diagnosed about 4 year4s ago at 9, have brought down my reading to 6.2 consistently for the last 4 yeas since, but eat a scone, like you, I'm up to 13 and it doesn't come down for hours - and apparently, according to one doctor, I'm "only slightly diabetic"!! Ah well, there you go!! I am sure I'm not ......!!

Reactions: 5 people