Not eating breakfast keeps my sugars down all day

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not a big breakfast guy anyway but I was told it's important. However just 9 units of background insulin in the morning and not eating until lunch has given me pretty consistent levels

Anyone see an issue with this?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
are you type 1 or 2? are you using bolus insulin too? if your pretty steady then that means your basal dose is correct anyway but if bolusing and having breakfast then you shouldn't really have any problems as long as your ratio is correct and you have bolus timing nailed xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm not a big breakfast guy anyway but I was told it's important. However just 9 units of background insulin in the morning and not eating until lunch has given me pretty consistent levels

I see you posted the thread in Type 1 discussions, so, If it's working for you then that's good :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm finding the same thing, though I do bolus for the milk in my coffee. My dietician wanted me to have 30g at each meal but I'm finding it easier with less, at least at breakfast.

My view is that if my meter says it's OK, it's OK.....

(My biggest aim is the avoidance of hypos, with the attendant rollercoaster of highs and lows…. For that. less insulin is better, though I'm low carb not very low carb)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't see an issue. I have rarely eaten breakfast for the last 30 years. It's not important to me, it's just another meal. If a person was on a fixed amount of insulin or certain other glucose lowering drugs then yes, it might be important to eat meals at certain times but with what you describe it clearly works for you. Sometimes I don't get to eat for the entire day so simply omit any bolus insulin.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I don't do breakfast either... Just can't. A "brunch" or lunch at 11's or midday? Fair enough.. (After being awake for a number of hours.)

It was "important" back in my early daze of fixed dosage of insulin.. There is a lot more personal flexibility on MDI, or as I'm informed a pump..

Do you also inject fast acting insulin for the meals consumed?

MarkHaZ123

I'm similar. I don't eat breakfast when I'm working as I can't think of anything worse than eating when tired. When I'm off I wake up naturally and tend to have toast or cereal for breakfast

I only started taking insulin last month but have found taking 7 units of basal on a night and then 6 during the day works well. I tend to wake up at the moment with bloods 6-8 whereas before insulin they would be 15+ on a morning so I'm obviously happy with that.
Iv got an active job been a bathroom fitter so I tend to find I always have to have a tiny snack in the morning but don't need to eat like I used to on novamix which rapidly dropped bloods

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
I'm the opposite , if I dont have breakfast or leave it late my sugars go up !!

Reactions: porl69