1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

NOT ELIGIBLE FOR BOOSTER?!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by LionChild, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As far as I know there has been no "adjustment" of the vaccine for different strains, although there may be in the future. The vaccination is a course of two jabs. The third, and possible fourth, jabs are boosters to counteract the effect of the immunity waning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

I’m afraid this is not quite right. Slightly worrying that vaccination staff are giving out incorrect information.

The initial course was always 2 jabs of Astra zenica or Pfizer or occasionally Moderna. The extremely vulnerable that were immune compromised also got a third main jab.

Then everyone (over 16) was entitled to a booster which for most was their third jab but a 4th for the most immune compromised vulnerable. (This was the same Pfizer jab, in most cases, as used for the initial doses confusingly).

Now some extremely vulnerable who are immune compromised or over 75yrs will be getting a second booster.

As yet there has been no adjustment for strains but this is proposed.

The testing for antibodies and action depending on results would be case by case and driven by your drs. I guess it could raise you to the immune compromised status perhaps as a result of one taken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

Yes, but they are mostly volunteers, so really can only repeat what they have been told. It's Chinese Whispers.

I'm not sure whether to request this or not. I don't fall on the severely compromised list, but I have a long history of vaccinations being effective for a much shorter time, or just not effective at all. For example, I've had the two whooping cough vaccinations that are meant to give immunity, and since then I've had whooping cough three times. Normally I wouldn't trouble the GP, but I'm on the list for surgery + stay in hospital in a few months. I don't know.

4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

I appreciate they are volunteers but they still shouldn’t be spreading inaccurate information because people make the assumptions they know what they are talking about as they appear to be in a position “that would know”. Without meaning to be rude, you believed what was said and I’m sure many others did too.

in your shoes I’d ask the gp their opinion on antibody tests. Or get one privately if that’s an option and see what the results are before deciding. Make sure you get the right test though. Some are for infection based antibodies, some for vaccine and some do both. And remember this is only antibodies, not B or T cells which are other aspects of immunity.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook