Not enough carbs, honeymoon period or too much insulin??

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Might be difficult to answer cos everyone's different.

But I've been diagnosed a month and I've been told about the honeymoon period but I'm not sure if I'm in it yet.

I've been having hypos pretty much daily atm. This morning my BS was 9.1 and I had 2 slices of Burgen bread and scrambled egg. " and a half hours later, my BS is 3.6. Was this not enough carbs for 9 units of nova-rapid? or too much insulin?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You are probably taking too much insulin. What was the insulin to carb ratio you were told to use ? I would guess an avg is approx 1 unit per 10g of carbs. Some will take more, some less. You would not need to inject for the eggs so it's just 2 slices of bread. Probably no more than 15g of carbs each ? Difficult for me to say as I have no clue what brand or size bread you ate. I would probably take 3 units for this meal. Obviously check with your healthcare providers before adjusting any medication first.
Mo

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mo1905 said:
You are probably taking too much insulin. What was the insulin to carb ratio you were told to use ? I would guess an avg is approx 1 unit per 10g of carbs. Some will take more, some less. You would not need to inject for the eggs so it's just 2 slices of bread. Probably no more than 15g of carbs each ? Difficult for me to say as I have no clue what brand or size bread you ate. I would probably take 3 units for this meal. Obviously check with your healthcare providers before adjusting any medication first.
Mo

I've been told an average of 1 unit per 10g of carbs.
The total carbs in the bread was 32g carbs.
Also, because I'm newly diagnosed, I'm not sure on adjusting my insulin doses yet because the nurses have been doing that for me until I'm ready.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If your total carbs was 32g, why did you take 9 units if your ratio is 1 unit per 10g ? you should have taken 3 units ?
Mo

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I said, it's not me changing my doses, it's my nurses.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
So what are the nurses saying take ? I'm a little confused. You say you have been told to take 1 unit per 10g of carbs, you eat 32g and take 9 units ! This is far too much and is the reaon why you are dropping so low. Get back to your nurse ASAP and re-confirm dose. Good luck !
Mo