Not feeling great.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a little bit of a heavy night on the alcohol.

I don’t get drunk often, especially since diagnosis. I’m eating and drinking normally today, just have a bit of a sore head lol.
Any insulin I am injecting though is just sending me hypo, I’ve even reduced ratio to 1unit-20gram carbs. Not really sure why that is but I know for a fact I’m not ‘cured’, I reduced basal to account for the alcohol too..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a little bit of a heavy night on the alcohol.

I don’t get drunk often, especially since diagnosis. I’m eating and drinking normally today, just have a bit of a sore head lol.
Any insulin I am injecting though is just sending me hypo, I’ve even reduced ratio to 1unit-20gram carbs. Not really sure why that is but I know for a fact I’m not ‘cured’, I reduced basal to account for the alcohol too..

Hi,

Oddly, I feel a little "fragile" myself, today.. Saturday night just having a few scoops & creating a "music video?"
Hungover, I awoke to fit a new bath pannel in our home this morning. (A fair bit of bespoke cutting.)
Been in the 5s all day with out even trying with a low around midday & another at 5pm.

I tend to only reduce my basal if there is a heavy hot days graft the following day.
I can't say my Sunday was that taxing..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is not uncommon to feel fragile and be more prone to hypos after drinking.
As you know our livers drip glucose all the time and our basal is used to manage this.

Our livers consider alcohol to be poison so it concentrates on dealing with this poison and, whilst doing so, it drips less glucose. I don’t know whether this is to avoid dripping any alcohol but I prefer to think of livers being incapable of multitasking.
As a result, we have more insulin than we need for the glucose and we hypo.

This is why it is recommended to eat something carbs before going to bed after a “fun” night and, maybe reducing your basal.
Typically, this only lasts for 24 hours so it is not possible to reduce all slow acting basal insulins.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Oddly, I feel a little "fragile" myself, today.. Saturday night just having a few scoops & creating a "music video?"
Hungover, I awoke to fit a new bath pannel in our home this morning. (A fair bit of bespoke cutting.)
Been in the 5s all day with out even trying with a low around midday & another at 5pm.

I tend to only reduce my basal if there is a heavy hot days graft the following day.
I can't say my Sunday was that taxing..

I didn’t feel too bad upon waking.
The hypos through the day have really knocked me about though and now I’m feeling quite worse for wear lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn’t feel too bad upon waking.
The hypos through the day have really knocked me about though and now I’m feeling quite worse for wear lol

Lol, I felt up for nothing when I woke.
I got caught out by the midday one. Feeling it rather than pre-empt treatment due to leaving my phone in the house whilst I worked on the patio? (The Libre for me give a 10/5 minute warning.) Bent down for a tape measure & marker on the floor, came up &, "hello hypo my old friend." It seems my maths has gone again...." :singing: There was a "sound of silence" as nothing could go beep.. ;) (It's the set up I have on my device..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
"hello hypo my old friend." It seems my maths has gone again...."
Maths and geography (as in map reading) are my two initial cognitive tells. My husband's been known to test me by asking me to count down from 100 by 7s.

I honestly find that hypos are the worst part of T1, though mitigated heavily by the wonders of a cgm.
Hope you feel better soon @Chloelox

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maths and geography (as in map reading) are my two initial cognitive tells. My husband's been known to test me by asking me to count down from 100 by 7s.

I honestly find that hypos are the worst part of T1, though mitigated heavily by the wonders of a cgm.
Hope you feel better soon @Chloelox

Agreed, especially with what I do using a tape measure? Just looking at it extended in comparison with what I'm surveying is like astrophysics.. If BG meter's had never been invented. I'd recomend carrying one around... ;)

Reactions: EllieM

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still experiencing a lot of fluctuations today but feel I may be coming down with something as surely the alcohol would no longer be in my system.