Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before I had diabetes a banana didn't make me feel better either...
Also, I don't think I would want to use a source like K4KNOWLEDGE to try to improve my health.

Reactions: michita

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When I think back to the old days a banana mashed up with a little sugar loved it then would not go near it now.

M

Member496333

Not really surprised by the banana claim. Depending on ripeness you’re pretty much mainlining glucose with those bad boys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I used to a banana for breakfast before going to work.

I can eat banana's and they have helped me out of a hypo a few times, but I do prefer other fruits. I eat potatoes too and use the potato water for my plants, especially the cucumbers.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep Chip Butties are the healthy way to go ! And bananas seem to have great PR already (snack food of tennis gods, source of abundant potassium and a 70s TV series I think).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like banana's, but they work quite well before a work out to keep from hypoing. So I wouldn't know why they aren't for diabetics.
A diet of potatoes and butter is ridiculous for anyone, unless nothing else would be available to keep from starving, so not even worth discussing to me.
May I ask why you want to discuss these pictures, @Pura Vida ? I suppose you have a reason for posting them?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's one for you....
A friend found an unusual use for bananas. He was on his old boat when a plug blew and the gearbox dropped all it's oil. They were isolated so needed to move. He plugged the leak and put two mashed-up bananas in the gear box which lubricated and cooled it enough to get to port.
(That's a true tale. What I've just made up is that bananas may be good for the CARBureter too!)

Reactions: JAT1

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have friends who have begged me to make them a banana cake but with 3 mashed overripe bananas and 6oz sugar per cake, my conscience will no longer let me.

Hubby got that he was just about living on bananas. Scared him by taking his bloods one day so he has now dropped them from his diet completely.;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The Irish used to consume a lot of potatoes I believe.
And my son who lived for a couple of years near Dublin tells me that potatoes are still a big part of the diet there and get cooked in a myriad of different ways.

"It is approximated that Ireland's potato consumption before the Famine was 280 pounds per week for a household of six, or, roughly seven pounds of potatoes per person per day. However, this average figure masks the fact that a working adult male could consume ten to fourteen pounds per day"

Must have been a lot of T2 diabetics there in those days maybe.

http://wiki.dickinson.edu/index.php/Demographics_During_the_Famine

@Tophat1900 So may be not complete BS!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The Irish used to consume a lot of potatoes I believe.
And my son who lived for a couple of years near Dublin tells me that potatoes are still a big part of the diet there and get cooked in a myriad of different ways.

"It is approximated that Ireland's potato consumption before the Famine was 280 pounds per week for a household of six, or, roughly seven pounds of potatoes per person per day. However, this average figure masks the fact that a working adult male could consume ten to fourteen pounds per day"

Must have been a lot of T2 diabetics there in those days maybe.

http://wiki.dickinson.edu/index.php/Demographics_During_the_Famine

@Tophat1900 So may be not complete BS!

You may be onto something there, John.... I'm betting physical activity may of played a roll back then in possibly keeping T2 at bay for some of the time. You wanted to keep warm, you cut wood, today you plug the heater in and sit. You wanted to cook food, cut wood, today, just turn a knob and on and on it goes. Such different worlds. Back then, no one was sitting around staring at phones...lol

Reactions: JohnEGreen

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

The potato claim is overlooking the full facts.

You would have to eat 34 sweet potatoes a day, or 84 white potatoes, otherwise you would eventually run into a calcium deficiency. You would also need 25 white potatoes a day to get the recommended amount of protein.
It's also pretty obvious that not everyone can eat that amount of carbohydrate without being ill. So, a load of old tosh really.