1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

not much rise after food ?

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Charis1213, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Charis1213

Charis1213 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was 6.8 before my meal and only 6.9 two hours after , I am happy with this but its never happened before . Normal ?

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It all depends on what you ate for your meal to work out what is "normal",

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Not only normal, it is what to aim for. Now just to lower those pre meal numbers is your aim. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

What was the food?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

It is normal to be the same or lower at the 2 hour mark, so well done for that, but you do need to try lowering your starting levels.

6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I agree - it's quite normal - certainly on a low carb diet - and is what I regularly see and aim for. So you're doing well!

Robbity

7. Charis1213

Not sure how to lower the pre meal numbers , only having a bit of cheese for lunch I have had to cut down on the cream cos getting bad stomach ache , that's why I am awake now and will have to stop eating strawberries as they have latex in them and also causing me stomach pain .

I ate for my tea , chicken breast in garlic and butter with kale broccoli brussels sprouts cabbage , two strawberries and small amount blueberries and whipped cream .

Got knee pain too hope not gout cos of high fat .

8. Spl@

Spl@ Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Why the high fat worries. You keep repeating it.

Fat is not a bad thing. We need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Quite normal. Eating an appropriate meal can stop the liver from excreting glucose. Particularly in the mornings :)

10. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know if you want to or need to lose weight too, but I just want to warn you against underdoing the calorie thing. If you eat too little for too long, your metabolism might suffer from it. It happened to a few of us in here, and its difficult to get it back on track. You can calculate your BMR here. https://tdeecalculator.net/ Sorry, don't even know if its relevant for you at all, but just in case ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you’re eating then you should eat properly and to satiety. Fasting is a different matter, but drip feeding calories is known to reduce BMR and probably isn’t ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've said this before elsewhere, but I'll repeat it, as it might put consuming fats easier for you: in LCHF high fat is probably a misnomer as high is just so called because it is the highest proportion of the nutrients (carbs, protein, fats) in comparison to the much lower percentage of carbs involved. So proportion wise: low carbs, moderate protein, high fats.

What you are eating is perfectly normal full fat food, and in the case of dairy in particular, is not the bastardized low/lite versions which have had all their natural (fatty) goodness removed and replaced with carbs to make them palatable again.

You don't have to stuff your face with fats, but simply consume enough to help keep you feeling satisfied. You can also eat or drink whatever good fats and oils that suit you best, and can adjust the amounts you consume to help you maintain, lose or gain weight, as well as helping lower your glucose levels.

Robbity

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I sympathise with the stomach pain as that has been/is a problem for me too. It's just possible that all those healthy brassicas are responsible. Miracle foods as they may be, quite a lot of people just can't tolerate them. Maybe even reducing to just one brassica portion per meal might help?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Charis1213

i will try that this evening , than you , knee pain is from an injury and flared up again so i will get there .

• Hug Hug x 1
  15. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Oh dear! Poor you!!! One health problem at a time is QUITE enough. Never mind, with all that determination you WILL get there. Good luck!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook