Not newly diagnosed, but new on meds...

dm1983

So, after 'reversing' my condition, a few years of poor mental health have seen me back to square one and I'm not starting out on Metformin.

I guess it might be an idea for me to buy a glucose monitor to keep an eye on any progress I'm making between my reviews.

Can anyone advise on a good one without spending too much (not currently in employment).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
@Rachox has a list of economical UK ones. The critical thing tends to be the cost of the strips, as manufacturers tend to give the meters away for free.

Some (but very few) GPs will hand out meters to T2s, though it's pretty unlikely unless you're on meds that can make you hypo, but it may be worth asking (just don't be surprised if they say no.).

Good luck.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @dm1983

In addition to a glucometer (see details below), you might want to consider a free 2 week trial of the freestyle Libre. So long as you have a compatible mobile phone, then it won’t cost you a penny. Used wisely you can then identify the impact that different foods and activities have on your blood sugars. You can sign up here: https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/free-trial.html

Armed with that information it’d be possible to have a testing regime that just monitors whether you’re still on track, reducing the cost.

So far as meters are concerned, there are a few popular ones used by type 2s on here. The cost of the strips is important as they’ll be what you spend most on so don’t be seduced by offers of free meters with expensive strips.

The meter with the cheapest strips is the Gluco Navii. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips. Buying a pack of 10 boxes of strips using the discount code works out at £5.68.

The SD Codefree from Home Health has similarly priced strips, but is rumoured to be being discontinued at some point.

The Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare also has relatively cheap strips, (although they have recently gone up in price): https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/products/copy-of-copy-of-tee2-blood-glucose-meter

with the strips found here: https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/products/copy-of-tee2-test-strips

I got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order the meter and 10 boxes of strips and they threw the meter in for free. Phone number 0800 8815423. I daresay Home Health would do the same.

Also from Spirit Healthcare, with more expensive strips than the Tee2+ is their Caresens Dual. This can be used for testing ketones too (strips for that very expensive). https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Don’t forget to check the box (or mention on the phone) to say you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

dm1983

Am I reading things correctly on that Libre website?

That a new sensor would be needed to be bought every 2 weeks, at around £50?

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yes. It's clearly not a cheap option but this type of constant monitoring is incredibly useful for Type 1 diabetics who need to keep a much closer eye on their BS levels than most of us Type 2's. I think the sensors are usually funded by the NHS for those who have a clinical need.

I've recently taken Libre up on their free offer and now intend to buy a sensor perhaps once every year or two in order to help me keep tabs on how my condition develops over the long term.

A standard glucose meter and test strips should tell you all you need to know in order to adjust your diet and bring your BS levels down. Good luck.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, but only if you want to continue using that measurement system. As a 2 week free trial it can provide incredibly helpful learning.

I could manage without, but use them pretty frequently as I find the information helpful - and it keeps me on track.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dm1983 it's worth talking it through with your gp because of your mental health. They may have more room in that budget to prescribe either a cgm or a finger pricker to be a support to you mentally rather than physically

Reactions: Outlier

dm1983

@dm1983 it's worth talking it through with your gp because of your mental health. They may have more room in that budget to prescribe either a cgm or a finger pricker to be a support to you mentally rather than physically

I've to hand in blood pressure figures for a week to the diabetic nurse in a few days time so I'll query on all this when I hand that in.

Basically, when I first got diagnosed, back in late 2012, I weighed 135kg (6'2" male) and my HbA1c was at 13 in the old style numbers (not sure what that would be now).

I'd no symptoms and six months later, the HbA1c in the new style numbers was at 53.0 and my weight down to 109kg, so no meds prescribed.

Jan 2014 my HbA1c was at 46.0 and weight at 102kg.

For the next few years, my weight fluctuated between 87kg and 92kg and my HbA1c was generally at 40.0.

Since early 2017, I've been on and off various anti-depressants, which left me hungry and lethargic and weight had gone up to 108kg and HbA1c of 44.0 in August 2018.

Things have continued to worsen mentally, meaning diet has been awful and this year, a combination of a broken foot and a positive covid diagnosis have also caused havoc.

Meaning I was 142kg and 96.0 in August 2021 and now 134kg and 93.0 in late December.