Not quite a newbie...

DaveXF

Hi,
I was a regular contributor on here at one time and as I appeared to have everything under control...I went off and did other things.
Firstly, forgive me and secondly...how wrong was I?
I came off Metformin (500mg a day) two yrs ago as the gains I was seeing in a reduced blood glucose level were dwarfed by how ruddy ill- even with extended release- it made me.
I invested in a libre , with under 5% carb per day and my bloods averaged below 7mmol/l.
2months back I noticed that my levels climbed during work hours (10mmol/l) and dropped like a brick outside of these times.
I, like a fool, did little about it until last week when I started to get horrendous calf cramps, ankle pains, pins and needles and numbness.
Oh...flipping heck.
I think we can guess what this will be.

Anyhow, I've a few tests to undergo and it looks like I have to bite that bullet and go back on some meds.
Truth be known, and I'm sure I'm not alone, I was probably in denial.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @DaveXF welcome back. Hopefully you will get some good news on your tests, so don't think the very worse just yet....some of us have success in taking R-Alpha Lipoiec Acid tabs for those tinglies.....Don't beat yourself up too much for having gone astray for a bit....happens, so does life!

As far as meds go, remember that there are many different combinations that can be tried without involving the ever debated Metformin. Google diabtetic meds and you can have a read through about them so you can go in prepared and maybe suggest something yourself to your GP or DN.....whoever will be working with you.
Just remember that you are on a marathon, not a sprint, and day by day things will get better for you in your management of diabetes. Blessings/L

Reactions: porl69 and DaveXF

DaveXF

Most kind and thank you.
I've beaten myself up quite badly over the past few days...and, now, well it's now time to take things very seriously.
I will try the supplements you suggest and my revitilse advanced that will arrive at mine tomorrow.
Once I've finished installing the downstairs shower room, I've got room to put a treadmill (mightn't be the best for sore feet) next to the exercise bike.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DaveXF please dont beat yourself up, the thing with t2d is that you can feel very very well even when bs are higher than they should be, and this gives a false sense of security. The good thing is you know what to do now as you were a very active member on here a while back. You can turn it around as so many on here have and many have done so very quickly. Welcome back.

Reactions: DaveXF