Not sleeping very well

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Never was a great sleeper but only realising the effects of it now, have seen in some places that if can be a symptom of diabetes, is this the case?

I've a check up next week should I ask the doctors for help or will they just prescribe sleepers

D

Deleted member 308541

I've a check up next week should I ask the doctors for help or will they just prescribe sleepers
Ask your GP, he / she may not prescribe sleeping tablets as there other methods to get sleep patterns working again.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never was a great sleeper but only realising the effects of it now, have seen in some places that if can be a symptom of diabetes, is this the case?

For me, CBD oil helped me get into a normal sleeping pattern after having been an insomniac basically all my life. Might be worth looking into.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sleeplessness is a bit like fatigue, or brain fog; it can be a symptom of a gazillion and one conditions. I'd guess that unless your insomnia started around the time of your T1, it's less likely to be specifically related to that.

If it did start around your diagnosis, it could be a sign your body was struggling a bit, then of course, post-diagnosis, it's quite reasonable to conclude you'll have some stress whirling around in your head (and body) as you sort out the new normal.

I know living with T2 diabetes is very different to living with T1, but I would urge you to try not to hang everything on your diabetes. Some of the "stuff" that sometimes happens to us happens to normies too. I have to say it's one of my hobby horses where someone's retort reaction is "that'll be your diabetes". I'd rather they opened their minds than went down a narrow alleyway potentially cutting out important investigations or conclusions.

Of course, it's worthwhile having a chat with your Doc when you next see them.

Have you every tried mindfulness or self-hypnotherapy for relaxation? I'm usually a great sleeper, but in the past when I've had things on my mind, I've used a hypnotherapy message to help me get off to sleep.