Not sure about clinics..

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m currently 15 years old and still with the children’s paediatrics diabetes team. However I am 16 next year and I know that at the age of 18 I move to the adult clinic when I turn 16 am I still with the children’s or do I move?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @diabeticmegxo It's not a process that will happen quickly as it should happen over a period of time, but of course it will vary depending on your trust, it should also happen with your consultation, do you have any particular concerns over this ? It would be a good idea to see if you can find out from your nurse as they would be best placed to explain what will happen and when.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diabeticmegxo It's not a process that will happen quickly as it should happen over a period of time, but of course it will vary depending on your trust, it should also happen with your consultation, do you have any particular concerns over this ? It would be a good idea to see if you can find out from your nurse as they would be best placed to explain what will happen and when.

Thank you so much

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 20 now but when I was 16 at least where I'm from they had something called a transition clinic which was a sort of in-between clinic. It had some of the nurses from children's and some from the adult's clinic. You then met with an adult consultant and had a basic chat about who you were and your diabetes story. You could stay in the transition clinic for I think anywhere from 0-2 years till you were 18 and ready to fully move. You should ask if this is something your trust does as I found it really helpful as I'd been in children's for so long I was reluctant to move. If they don't do this you can also just get a basic rundown from your consultant about what will happen and when so you have more of an idea and I'm sure they could arrange for you to see some of the people from the adults clinic so it's not so daunting when you do move over.

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m currently 15 years old and still with the children’s paediatrics diabetes team. However I am 16 next year and I know that at the age of 18 I move to the adult clinic when I turn 16 am I still with the children’s or do I move?
im also 15 and they had an evening where all of the other 15/16 year olds met with the adult team with the childrens team there also so you could get to know everyone and see the rooms. They also said that you dont need to move up immediately, they just start to move you up at 16. Also a couple of times since then the adult team have come to some of my 3 months clinics so i can get to know them better.

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 20 now but when I was 16 at least where I'm from they had something called a transition clinic which was a sort of in-between clinic. It had some of the nurses from children's and some from the adult's clinic. You then met with an adult consultant and had a basic chat about who you were and your diabetes story. You could stay in the transition clinic for I think anywhere from 0-2 years till you were 18 and ready to fully move. You should ask if this is something your trust does as I found it really helpful as I'd been in children's for so long I was reluctant to move. If they don't do this you can also just get a basic rundown from your consultant about what will happen and when so you have more of an idea and I'm sure they could arrange for you to see some of the people from the adults clinic so it's not so daunting when you do move over.

I’m dreading the move, thank you :)

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im also 15 and they had an evening where all of the other 15/16 year olds met with the adult team with the childrens team there also so you could get to know everyone and see the rooms. They also said that you dont need to move up immediately, they just start to move you up at 16. Also a couple of times since then the adult team have come to some of my 3 months clinics so i can get to know them better.

Ah okay, thank you so much :)

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have blood tests annually at the phlebotomy in the main hospital. Everything else is done in children’s.