Not Sure I am Type I or Type II

DeepSoft

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear Friends/Doctors,
I got diagnosed with DM (considered Type II initially) in 2009. Since then I was on the oral medication Morning Metformin 500mg + 0.5mg Glimepride and During Evening Vildegliptin/Galvus 50 mg + Metformin 1000mg. This was routine from last 3 years.
Few months back, I was involved in Diabetes study, where they tested my protein (ICA 512 and IA-2) and zinc transporter 8 (ZnT8) and IA-2 test was negative but ZnT8 Antibodies result came as 14.6 u/ml (Which researcher mentioned as Positive ) and now they tagged me as Type-I rather than Type II and advised to start long acting insulin small dose probably .
Could you please help me to identify, whether I am Type I or Type II diabetic. And advise me whether I should start Insulin or not.

edit by mod-- removed poll

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there
Pretty much nobody on the forum ( with a couple of exceptions of GP's) is even remotely qualified to give you a diagnosis online and it is not something advisable to vote on either.
you need to see your health care provider for this sort of thing

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have removed the poll as it is inappropriate. As @himtoo has stated no one will give you that advice. You need to go and have that discussion with your doctor and also discuss the results of the tests you had completed and see what he recommends.

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a few things to think about because regardless of diabetes type, insulin is generally started when you need it (although there is some evidence that taking insulin earlier can help to prolong some pancreatic function). How are your blood glucose levels? If you are struggling to keep a good blood glucose level and your h1ac is rising, it might be worth considering insulin. I would suggest that you talk to your GP and request a referal to the diabetes clinic at the hospital. I am not sure what the tests you had are, the usual for identifying type 1s is the GAD antibody test. I would hope that the hospital would run this test. I was in the same boat as you diagnosed as type 2, struggling to control it on a bucket full of tablets. I was eventually diagnosed as type 1 and started insulin. Insulin is not a magic bullet, it can be hard work, but it is nice to understand what condition I actually have.