Not Sure

Missy29

Hi I checked my sugar first this morning with out eating and it's 8.8 what does that mean ? I'm not sure I'm diabetic but my mom had it .

bigsi1984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hello. That is high. Best thing to do would be make a doctors appointment and explain that you have tested and see what they say. I think a single result in isolation isn’t cause for alarm. If the doctor sends you for a full blood test you will get a much clearer idea of if you are diabetic or not. If you have any other questions just ask.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I checked my sugar first this morning with out eating and it's 8.8 what does that mean ? I'm not sure I'm diabetic but my mom had it .
Next can you check your sugar just before your next meal and then 2 hours after? And preferably repeat your fasting morning check and your mealtime checks over eg 3 days? One reading is not nearly enough to draw conclusions from.

Reactions: bigsi1984

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. That is high. Best thing to do would be make a doctors appointment and explain that you have tested and see what they say. I think a single result in isolation isn’t cause for alarm. If the doctor sends you for a full blood test you will get a much clearer idea of if you are diabetic or not. If you have any other questions just ask.
I agree, the doctor will probably send you for an A1c test, which shows an average of your blood sugars over roughly the previous 3 months. This is the test most often used to diagnose diabetes these days. However, checking your own sugars especially around meals also gives valuable information.

Reactions: bigsi1984