Not your regular diabetic.....please help if possible

E

emm2012

Good for you, learn all you can from others on here. It is a bit of trial and error with insulin, we all react so differently even with the same meals on different days lol.I really do feel for you. I just seen that you are only on insulin with meals so a pump might not work for, but not sure........keep up the good work, and let us know how you are getting on :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@MrX

Sorry to ask again.. Are you just insulin for food? When you sleep, do you ever wake up to test?

I know (sorry) you say levels rise in peaks after food but do they fall to normal levels etc when resting/not sleeping?

Its just the higher levels that I am concerned about really, rather than trying to suggest food alternatives. Flaxssed was just as a stomach helper rather than anything else...

craig81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only two things I feel comfortable offering suggestions (not advice) would be on insulin timing, and on foods consumed. Novorapid really isn't very rapid. It takes between 2 and 5 hours for the insulin you inject, to be used by the body. A lot of us consider four hours to be about the length of time for novorapid to be fully used up by the body. Non-diabetic insulin produced by their own bodies is ferrari insulin. Novorapid is the equivalent of a Sunday bus service insulin in the countryside. Bottom line is that your food is peaking way before the insulin does- 50% of novorapid is used at 90 minutes according to some estimates, and this is when it peaks. I eat low carb most days but when I indulge in sweet potatoes (really pushing the boat out) once a week, I inject 45 minutes before I eat. Sometimes I wait an hour before I eat depending on my blood glucose value. This helps to reduce the spike considerably.

With the amount of carbs you are eating, I couldn't control my blood sugar. There is just too much room for error and the resulting high and/or low blood sugars. Like many, I moved to a higher fat diet for this reason. If you're really struggling for calories I'd suggest either almond butter or a good peanut butter - 600 calories per 100g. Cream is also good - 400 odd calories per 100g. Olive oil poured liberally over cooked food is also a way of bumping up those calories.

Good luck.

Mr X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you, learn all you can from others on here. It is a bit of trial and error with insulin, we all react so differently even with the same meals on different days lol.I really do feel for you. I just seen that you are only on insulin with meals so a pump might not work for, but not sure........keep up the good work, and let us know how you are getting on :)

Definitely, the amount of testing I've been doing is huge and sometimes can vary so much! Thank you and will do!

@MrX

Sorry to ask again.. Are you just insulin for food? When you sleep, do you ever wake up to test?

I know (sorry) you say levels rise in peaks after food but do they fall to normal levels etc when resting/not sleeping?

Its just the higher levels that I am concerned about really, rather than trying to suggest food alternatives. Flaxssed was just as a stomach helper rather than anything else...
Yes I am just on insulin for food at the moment. When i sleep I have tested multiple times and all is well PROVIDING I have't eaten anything before bed obviously and not injected or something.
My levels rise with food and the insulin does it's best to bring them down. If it doesn't bring it down enough after a few hours they usually fall by themselves as there has been multiple times where i've gone to bed on double figures and woke up with a normal 4-6 in the morning. I used to inject a tiny amount of insulin on it's own without food when the previous dose had finished and I was still left in double figures but i stopped doing this mainly because my food is all close together and it would mess up what to inject next etc.

The only two things I feel comfortable offering suggestions (not advice) would be on insulin timing, and on foods consumed. Novorapid really isn't very rapid. It takes between 2 and 5 hours for the insulin you inject, to be used by the body. A lot of us consider four hours to be about the length of time for novorapid to be fully used up by the body. Non-diabetic insulin produced by their own bodies is ferrari insulin. Novorapid is the equivalent of a Sunday bus service insulin in the countryside. Bottom line is that your food is peaking way before the insulin does- 50% of novorapid is used at 90 minutes according to some estimates, and this is when it peaks. I eat low carb most days but when I indulge in sweet potatoes (really pushing the boat out) once a week, I inject 45 minutes before I eat. Sometimes I wait an hour before I eat depending on my blood glucose value. This helps to reduce the spike considerably.

With the amount of carbs you are eating, I couldn't control my blood sugar. There is just too much room for error and the resulting high and/or low blood sugars. Like many, I moved to a higher fat diet for this reason. If you're really struggling for calories I'd suggest either almond butter or a good peanut butter - 600 calories per 100g. Cream is also good - 400 odd calories per 100g. Olive oil poured liberally over cooked food is also a way of bumping up those calories.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info, interesting to hear you say that regarding the novorapid times as it does seem to work much quicker for me because it does bring down my levels within 2 hours and seem to stop having any effect after around 2 hours "ish".

As above i really do try and get in as high fat as possible without having adverse affects with my GI system as i have to take pancreatic enzymes with the fat i take so have to carefully watch what I am doing. I also have lots of nut butters and nuts in general along with cooking all food with olive oil and other types.

Mr X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying that in the next ten minutes lol, my meal is coming up with the milkshake so for the first time ill be having it with a meal and will see what it does

If there is no sign of me i will be in the clouds high as a kite !!.....

Well I did what was advised and had my milkshake at the end of my meal. So everything was finished within around 15-20 mins.

at One hour i got 12.7.
2 hours though i got a 7.8 which was a massive result!

The downside though is that It knocked me out once again within half an hour or so, I tried to stay awake but was feeling so high and sleepy I fell asleep having just woke up again now.

It was the first time but will try it again today with the same meals again and see if the results are replicated. I just wish I didn't get that crazy feeling.