Novarapid insulin

Vic01

Hi everyone hope your all safe and well, I'm having a little melt down here I'm taking novarapid before meals and it dont seem to be working in bringing my bloods down I was told to take it 30 mins before a meal and if I'm 6.9 before the meal I end up high 2 hrs after it also does anyone know how long I leave it till I can have more insulin to correct my blood? Thank you

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to wait 4 hours to avoid stacking. Are you carb counting?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone hope your all safe and well, I'm having a little melt down here I'm taking novarapid before meals and it dont seem to be working in bringing my bloods down I was told to take it 30 mins before a meal and if I'm 6.9 before the meal I end up high 2 hrs after it also does anyone know how long I leave it till I can have more insulin to correct my blood? Thank you

Hi,

You have another topic suggesting you also take metformin?
Are you also on any other meds other than Novorapid?

I would be wary putting in a correction dose while a bolus is still active. Sometimes the timing is just off the insulin working profile & the digestion? Even if counted correctly.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What was your reading before you ate. What did you eat and how many units did you take, what was your reading 2 hours later?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like your Novo dose is too low. As someone else has asked do you carb-count i.e. adjust the Novo to take account of the carbs in the meal? If you don't carb-count do ask the nurse to explain it to you and don't wait 6 months to go on an unnecessary course. Yes, avoid stacking insulin so wait 3 hours or more. As you gain experience you can make judgements to do it earlier if the correction dose is small.

Vic01

Hi everyone, thank you for you msges, I do take metformin 1 in the morning and 1 at night, I have an app for carbs and cals so I work my novarapid with that but sometimes it tends to spike abit after a meal like I'll take like 25 for a bowl of cereal and it will spike, how long would you normally wait after taking the novarapid before having food?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2 I wouldn't go near cereal. Bacon and eggs are much better for us.

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
I was told to wait 4 hours to avoid stacking.
Are you carb counting?[/QUOTE
I am also having a problem with this insulin I hate it not working for me I have asked to change but not happened yet.
It never worked for me.

Sparklebrightisright.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
I have you tried going Low carb, Low sugar. It may help stop spikes all together.

I found when I was first diagnosed, Carbs especially the like of ceral, white bread ect would send my blood sugars high.

Low carb seem to work for me to low my blood sugars.

Also I found going for a walk or run if they where high help lowered them too.