1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Novavax vaccine Trial

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by ert, Oct 26, 2020.

1. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I just received the call. I'm having the health screen check on Saturday followed by the injection if I pass. Is anyone else on the trial? I feel like I've won the lottery. 300,000 have signed up for the original 5,000 places.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JaneC

JaneC Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I signed up and was accepted but decided not to go ahead last week as there are quite a few long hospital visits involved over a year and with only a 50% chance of getting the vaccine rather than the placebo it didn’t seem worthwhile on top of all the other diabetic appointments we have. I really don’t know if it was the right decision though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

All the best with that Ert.

• Like Like x 2
  4. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Am in awe of your bravery. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. mariefrance

mariefrance Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi ert
    Kate Bingham, Head of the UK Taskforce has just been on TV (BBC) and she was saying she has just had here first injection as part of the Novavax trial. So you're in good company!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ert

They called me in a day early so had the injection yesterday. I've had a strong reaction to it - pain in my arm at the injection site, terrible headache, fever, horrible muscle aches and pains, nausea - I hardly slept at all last night. My symptoms aren't easing with paracetamol. My blood sugars are high so I'm following sick day rules. I've never been more excited about feeling unwell.
    I'm starting to feel better, but my blood sugars haven't responded to my four-hourly corrections yet.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    #6 ert, Oct 31, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  7. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think you can be pretty confident that you didn't get the placebo! I hope you are back to normal soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. hyponilla

hyponilla Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This sentence made me giggle. You're a hero at the frontier of science. I also hope you feel better soon. It will be interesting to see how long the symptoms last.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Depends what the placebo is.. in the US trials I believe they used a meningitis vaccine so hardly saline.

10. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Also, the placebo should contain everything except the 'active ingredient'. So suspension fluid, preservatives etc some of which could also cause reactions.

11. Mr_Pot

Actually the placebo is saline....
    Sodium chloride injection (BP, sterile), 0.9%

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Fawbs89

Fawbs89 · Active Member

13. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wow, our very own blow by blow account and hot off the Press. Keep on posting if you can Ert! x

• Like Like x 2
  14. ert

I had my first antibody test. It was negative, day 5. I'm starting to wonder if I imagined all of my symptoms. Or I have to keep the faith that on average it takes 14 days for most people to develop antibodies. And some people not until the second injection.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agreed. Bizarrely they use a different vaccine as a placebo and apparently vaccines for 1 virus tend to make you more susceptible to other viruses. Doesn't that skew the results in favour of the vaccine you are testing because the placebo group are more likely to get sick?

16. ert

They need 100 people to get Covid-19 for the vaccine to be considered a success, hopefully from the placebo group. They're not recording symptoms, just testing to see if the vaccine gives you immunity. The placebo is just saline (unlike the Oxford), but some people supposedly react to it (in their imagination?)

#16 ert, Nov 9, 2020 at 5:53 PM
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  17. Mr_Pot

They are using saline as the placebo - see page 52 of the the Novavax trial protocol.
    They are however testing a subset of participants with flu vaccine in their other arm "to evaluate the safety and immunogenicity of SARSCoV-2 rS with Matrix-M1 adjuvant when co-administered with a licensed seasonal influenza vaccine."

https://www.novavax.com/resources#protocols

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. ert

Wow. You're more informed than I am, and I'm on the trial. :)

19. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

https://theconversation.com/coronav...important-to-know-whats-in-the-placebo-146365

This explains why sometimes researchers (Oxford vaccine) use an actual vaccine rather than saline. As BulkBiker said that is meningitis and pneumonia given so that participants who get the placebo feel that they've been given the real thing and hence get a true 'placebo' effect alongside those who get the actual thing.
    Still if the minks have mutated the thing, that seems to make the vaccine even more ineffective. As Boris has just said not the bugle from the cavalry yet...

20. Mr_Pot

How are the side effects now? Do you get to find out, at some point in the trial, if you had the vaccine or placebo ?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook