novo rapid & snacks

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...do you guys take units of novo rapid when having small snacks.....i.e..2 or 3 biscuits....piece of fruit..
Was on humulin 70/30 mix...recently changed to novo rapid and levemir....cheers james

Vassy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi James, I too am on Novorapid and only inject this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't have any Novorapid for any snacks in between but just monitor the carbs and sugars in the snacks depending on what my blood sugars are at the time.

Reactions: james11

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Snacks and novorapid. Firstly I would bolus for a snack above 10 carbs.
BUT there are other things to consider.
Are my sugars low? If so then no bolus.
When is my next meal? Within the hour? Depending on carbs in snack maybe no bolus.
When and what did I last eat? Bolusing within 3 hrs of last bolus could lead to insulin stacking.
What type of snack am I having? Something that may spike quickly or something that will keep me flat?
Diabetes ain't easy it takes a little bit of thought.

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I rarely snack between meals but if I do I have to bolus, especially if it was for biscuits or a piece of fruit like a apple or banana.

Reactions: james11

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies. ..am still getting to grips with carb counting etc....am being very careful not to have too many foods high in carbohydrates. ..theres a lot more testing bloods and injecting with the new stuff...which I do not like. ..lol....but a better picture of what is going on with bg helps understanding of it all

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I eat fruit and biscuits for snacks, amongst other things. I bolus for them unless my BS is low or I'm about to exercise :)