1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Novo rapid

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by parkinsonryan, Jul 31, 2019.

1. parkinsonryan

parkinsonryan Type 1 · Member

Am just wondering I got told to take Novo rapid 15 minutes before food but at work doing manual labour not sure how many units to take cause carb counting doesn't work with alot of exercise just wondering if I could eat then have Novo rapid after if I need my levels to come down a little thanks

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @parkinsonryan It's advised to take novorapid around 15 mins before hand so it starts working once your blood glucose levels start rising with eating. It's a whole different scenario when doing manual labour though as you'll be burning through glucose alot quicker than someone like me who sits at a desk all day !

I think it's wise to go on what your meter is telling you though, so if you need insulin to bring your levels down during the daytime and it works for you then fine, however in your role it would be best to avoid hypos as much as possible as it would affect your work, have you spoken to your team about getting a libre, as it would help you in your role as well as your blood glucose management ?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook