Novorapid 120 units prior each meal (120 x 3 times aday ) !!! Help me please !!

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advise would be to get yourself on the DAFNE course if its available as it takes you back to as if you know nothing about diabetes. Will help you work out ratio etc. and would probably reduce the amount of insulin you take 120 before a meal sound really high. For example a typical ratio for a typoe 1 would be 1 unit for every 10g of carbs you eat. So going by this you would be eating 1200g of carbs which is alot. Also with correction doses it is said in DAFNE that you should not take any more than 4 units as anything above this does not tend to do anything for your bg. Again go and see your DNS would be the best idea and try and get on DAFNE.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. You seem to be really trying to tackle the very high insulin in a very sensible way. Yes, you must seriously reduce the carbs. Set yourself a daily limit below 200gm and probably 150gm max. You will need to reduce the insulin as your weight and blood sugar reduce. AS your insulin resistance fades with weight loss your insulin stability should get better. I check my Basal in a fairly crude but adequate way by keeping my fasting blood sugar between 5-7 mmol. I make any changes one unit at a time over a few days. Yes, I would have the Basal at night or morning (or both if split). The rapid is taken at mealtime. BTW think carbs not calories if you want to lose weight and blood sugar level; carbs are the villain!